Pets At Home - Parkgate, Rotherham

Its getting so boring about p@h do more research into the shops thet you buy from and spend more time studying the fish in there tanks, you must have read the post on p@h so you Knew the risk, too many People are quick to criticizes and half of you don’t have a clue what to look for when buying fish.

both the pets at home I go to always have clean healthy looking tanks with no obvious looking diseases, they now even have display planted tanks that show people what they can create with live plants and wood, even though I only buy supplys from them cause they are closer than the place I get my fish from. but all in all if the other shop ever closed which I dont see happening any time soon I would buy fish from the 2 stores.

Its getting so boring about p@h do more research into the shops thet you buy from and spend more time studying the fish in there tanks, you must have read the post on p@h so you Knew the risk, too many People are quick to criticizes and half of you don’t have a clue what to look for when buying fish.

Well then share your knowledge - what should us begginers be looking out for when buying fish?

Make sure the fish are active and interested in their surroundings. There should be no dead/dying/diseased fish in their tank (or any tank on the same filter system), and they should all be a good weight and show proper colouring. You can also ask to see them being fed, to make sure they take an appropriate amount of interest in feeding (something I always do now). Choose fish that aren't being bullied, or bullying other fish, and basically just spend a good 5-10 minutes studying the fish you are interested in before commenting to buy. You can always ask to see the fish closer up in the bag too once caught
good.gif

Unfortunately sometimes you can end up with a bad batch of fish, which isn't always necessarily down to the shop. Always make sure you get them home as soon as you can, and take an appropriate amount of time acclimatising them with the lights off before releasing them.

Make sure the fish are active and interested in their surroundings. There should be no dead/dying/diseased fish in their tank (or any tank on the same filter system), and they should all be a good weight and show proper colouring. You can also ask to see them being fed, to make sure they take an appropriate amount of interest in feeding (something I always do now). Choose fish that aren't being bullied, or bullying other fish, and basically just spend a good 5-10 minutes studying the fish you are interested in before commenting to buy. You can always ask to see the fish closer up in the bag too once caught
good.gif

Unfortunately sometimes you can end up with a bad batch of fish, which isn't always necessarily down to the shop. Always make sure you get them home as soon as you can, and take an appropriate amount of time acclimatising them with the lights off before releasing them.
but then that means dont buy from pets at home cause arent all there tanks linked?

I spent a good half an hour studying the fish. Mostly because I was being dragged to the fish section.

cambojnr, I believe only the tanks in every tier are connected, but I could be wrong.

P@H Launceston 15 dead albino corydoras in one tank told"they are asleep". Yeah, permantly! Plants arent up to much and overpriced.
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT SAY YOU DONT LIKE IT!
You can always go elsewhere. I do.

This thread has been brilliant so far; it's been a mature discussion for both the pros and cons of different stores. Please keep it this way or the thread will be closed. Thanks.

Sorry. My point should have been along the lines of; you dont get the attention to detail from larger chain stores. Lets face it most of us concentrate on a psrticular type of fish, in my case female bettas, P@H is a large chain of pet stores who supply things for all pets. I dont know owt about birds or reptiles so I wouldnt expect the staff at P@H to know everything about bettas. They probably do the best they can armed with what knowledge they have.
People on this forum have a love for fish and an interest in the wellfare of there charges. P@H caters,in my opinion for those who only have a basic knowledge and are just starting up in this hobby. Once they, or if they, progress further they will no doubt seek out other suppliers for there needs. P@H have probably turned on a lot of people to this hobby and for that we must be thankfull.
Life and knowledge are sacred and it is our duty to pass this on.
I

I was a bit disappointed in p@h in Bedford. usually full of the norm, guppies, tetras, plecos but this time on a flying visit to family noticed a few african and some sa cichlids. The thing that annoyed me was a bag of at least 5 tiger oscars and 4 plecs being sold to an old lady buying for her grandson.

Yes she may have a huge tank... I hear you screaming... But nope... Was described as quite large, at least 1.5m.... which is fine as they "only grow to the size of the tank".

In my opinion, I think that a company as big as P@H should try their best with all the animals they have. They would make tons with proper care, which is what MOST of them are doing now. I am impressed with most of them but they can ALWAYS improve like any lfs

My P@H has a unique range of fish that I cant often find in my lfs's. The only reason I dont go there often is because mine doesnt do saltwater.

I'm blessed with three large fish stores within a short drive. The closest is Pets at Home which has a relatively small fish section, but the fish I saw seemed healthy (or at least all alive). Further away is a World of Water which has a fantastic selection of fish but looks a bit dingy and has a poor reputation for fish care. Then not far away there's a wonderful branch of Maidenhead Aquatics which has by far the best display tanks and plant selection and seems to have the most experienced staff.

I'm a bit confused because each time the one with the most dead fish has been the MA store.
wacko.png
Last time I visited they had one dead fish in at least 5 tanks.

I've put it down to overstocking because they do seem to have more fish in their tanks, evidently they have a higher turnover than the other stores, but it puts me off buying fish from what otherwise seems to be the best shop in the area. Is there any excuse for a fish shop to have a dead fish in several tanks like that or should I shop elsewhere?

Most reactions

Back