Pets At Home Gravel

Scatta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone on here use (or have tried) Pets At Home's own brand aquarium gravel / sand? I've seen some black sand / fine gravel which would be perfect for my next tank, but wasn't sure if it was inert. All the packaging says is 'Silica Sand'. Is this a quartz sand? I'm assuming it's safe but, I just want to be sure.

Ive got Pets At home 'silica sand' in my new tank ;)

Mines perfectly fine and looks great, well set aside a good while to clean it - it's flippin dusty!!!!

Has it made any difference to your pH or anything? I'm planning it for a planted tank so I didn't want any bad reactions with CO2 or undergravel heating.

It hasnt affected the water quality so far. Also my plants are growing nicely, however i don't use undergravel heating or C02.

It hasnt affected the water quality so far. Also my plants are growing nicely, however i don't use undergravel heating or C02.

Of course if it is selling at pets at home it wll be safe, although highly overprice. for example a 5KG bag of playsand in P@H will cost £6.99 whereas a 15KG bag in Argos is £2.49 for exactly the same product. The pea gravel they sell is the same as the pea gravel in B&Q or other hardware stores.

I don't know if there are cheaper places to buy the black quarts/silica sand which by the way is defo safe, wlthough not to my taste. I would only buy a subsatrate from P@H if that was the only place that sold it.

Using silca sand from pets at home in two of my tanks and its good stuff :)

Gets a bit expensive but any type of gravel is overpriced in a LFS from the prices i see Pets at Home offered the bast value compared to all the shops near me for the same product :)

Most reactions

Back