Peter's Petite Pair Of Picos

Would one of these products be suitable?

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=525
http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1324
http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1337
http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1092

They all mentioned clams ... would one be better than another at this stage?

The phytoplex or phytomax would be best I think from what ive read. Reef snow would work but based on some info, they still prefer phytoplankton. I think it has to do with particle size. I think feeding it outside of the tank and not directly in your tank would be best, especially since your still in your cycle.

Cool, I will get some of that.

As for feeding outside ... that is if we see it again! After putting it back earlier, haven't seen it since!!

My guess is there could be some sort of bristle worm or star fish in there that spooked it and caused it to swim. It might almost be beneficial to remove it from the tank all together next time you see it doesnt die and cause your water stats to go crazy. If it is a flame scallop, they only live for about 3 years in the wild and even less in captivity. Thats even with proper care.

Well defiantly a scallop of some sort

Although I can't see to well from pics it doesn't look like a flame to me as it doesn't have the characteristic shell shape it looks more oval in the pics

Could you confirm this castial is the shell a circle shape or a oval ?

I'd suggest pm sorgan he may be able to help on what to feed etc Or even a I'd

dts live phytoplankton is all I can suggest

Pretty sure its shell was oval rather than round. I'll let you know next time I see it!

Now for the first water stats, though a bit tricky as I have the freshwater API kit and it doesn't include the saltwater colour chart, so going from my screen (based on this site: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Downloads.html )

pH - seems really low, somewhere around 7.4, maybe 7.8
Amm - definitely there which is great, aroud 0.5-1ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20ppm

So both Ammonia and Nitrates - does that make sense?

Cheers

It makes sence but the contrast on your screen would change your results :lol: :crazy:

So a salt test kit would be a worthwhile investment

Also because of the oval shell alone I'd say it wasn't a flame scallop but possibly a similar species with similar requirements ( filter feeder with feeding tentacles ) so photo etc

Yeah I will be getting a saltwater kit so I can get more accurate readings, for sure.

Some more critters for ID! I am guessing these would be bristleworms?

In the middle below the flash (had to use the flash as it was in a dark recess:
Z6D7c.jpg

On the point of the rock, white colour:
3beIp.jpg

Seems to be conflicting advice around on whether these are harmful or not ...

Nah bristle worms are helpful theyre free cuc you'll only have problems if you want sea horses or they get huge but that's not likely

No sign of the scallop since I posted about it ... hopefully still hiding away somewhere.

In other news, a LOT has happened with the tank this week. We saw a couple of signs of life after a day or two, but today, five days in, the life has exploded (or at least become visible!).

Where to start? Firstly, apologies for the bad pics ...

THREE crabs!
Purple back, white body
VHk56.jpg

Stone coloured
5Kws3.jpg

Red, bobbly looking shell (bad quality, but bottom right)
dWeLC.jpg

Some kind of starfish, plus spot the shrimp! I've seen three of these.
BoL8R.jpg

LOTs of worms ... starting to worry there are too many?
lMNUM.jpg

Including this really large fat thing
VbLmg.jpg

A few growths, or I think someone said snails?
EU6aa.jpg

wdgB6.jpg

Baby star on the glass
zrOo2.jpg

The sand is also starting to brown already, and there's a fairly large amount of this stuff on the rocks, looks like cobwebs.
i8eXl.jpg

So there you go, llj, enough IDing for you? =0)

OMG! That's a lot of stuff. Fabulous. What are your stat? You testing your water?

I don't see the crabs in the pictures. :unsure: But, I'm as blind as a bat, so I'll need some time on this. Question, though, this might help. You got your LR from a lfs? Did they say which region it was from?

No, they didn't specify. But living on the south coast of Australia, I'd assume it was fairly local?

Here's a pic outlining the crabs, though the pics are bad quality.
0bpRU.jpg

0rGPP.jpg

SXo2K.jpg

As for water stats, I haven't yet tested it further. I need to get myself the saltwater tests this weekend so I can stay on top of it. I did get a hydrometer and it showed 1.025, which I understand is optimal. Temperature is a steady 80F.

I also realise I perhaps haven't mentioned that I am using real ocean water, not home made stuff! Which I am sure will impact approach.

UPDATE - a largish piece of rock just fell to the side, revealing yet another crab! This one dirty brown coloured, but similar size to the others (half an inch or so). Think I need to share a couple with the tank next door (all four crabs in 'my' tank).

Forgot you're in Australia. Whether the rock is local depends on collecting laws in the region. In FL it's illegal to collect rock, but companies, with the proper permits, can establish culture beds in FL waters where LR is cultured and sold commercially. This may be the case in Australia too.

Most reactions

Back