Petco Starts Selling Live Fish Online

I ahte petco and I am not the only one( too high prices dont care about animals, dont hire people who know what they are doing)

I like my petco's bettas more but I like petsmart's fish. But thank you for the link that's gonna come in handy. And it's new to me.

All my clown loaches and my original marble angel, the other one I just euthanized after over 2 months of treatment for swim bladder, were purchased from either Petsmart or Petco. My ottos in my other tanks were purchased from Petco, so I have no problems with them. All the fish I bought from either stores are still alive, since my many years in the hobby.

Basically, with any place you buy fish from, you do the following:
1. Buy healthy fish from a healthy tank
2. Never buy fish from the same tank a sick fish is in.
3. Watch the fish in the tank for a few days for any illness
4. Find out when they receive shipment of their fish. Then wait a few days when new fish arrive from shipment, in order for the fish to acclimate properly.
5. Acclimate your fish properly

You follow those, then I can guarantee you will have nice healthy fish you take home.

Yeah, Petco is pretty awful when it comes to fish. Admittedly, I do buy from Petco every so often. They occasionally sell bags of java moss for $2. :lol:

Well, at least now I can add them to my list of online fish stores.

I hate Petco too, all they have is a fish section full of half dead live bearers. Only once did I see on e with a marine sections, and it wasn't so bad.

yeah i hate petco! my roommate recently bought fish from there and they ended up killing off all the fish in her 2 tanks! they gave all the fish a bad case of ich and fungus. BAD store. half the time i go in there, the water is in horrible condition and half the fish are dead or half the tanks are "under observation". yeah they're under observation alright, and that's about the extent of it, they're observing their fish die. GRRR. i do give props to petsmart though because most of the fish i've gotten from there have been in good condition, and the people are very informative :good:

That is a great reason every fish goes into a quarantine tank for a week to two weeks, no matter where they are bought!

30g tropical package with a plec in it? 100g with 4 plecs in it?! Madness. I hate it when big chains get it so obviously wrong, they should be more committed to finding out the right care info and selling the right fish for the right set up. If anything they should aim for higher standards than most because people look up to them with them being a successful big chain.

Surely even the idiots in these shops know a common plec gets way too big for a 30g tank?

Just to add - read through the siet again and this is their species info for a plec:

Temperament: Community
Family: Loricariidae
Native To: South America
Diet: Omnivore
Adult Size: Up to 24"
Temperature: 72° - 82°F
Care Level: Easy
Tank Size: 10+ gallons
Scientific Name: Plecostomus hypostomus

Anyone notice the obvious mistake? Up to 24"? In a 10g??????!!!

Most reactions

Back