Pepermint Shrimp

Hazmat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got 3 pepermint shrimp in the last week, 1 male and 2 prego female

It would be cool to see the little guys in the tank but i don't think they will last with my tangs :(

I did get some other new stuff over the past week but no camera again :crazy:
You can see what I have in my sig :)

Hazmat

Arent peperment shimp like cleanr shrimp... you fish shouldn't eat them may be i don't know to much but i have a cleaner shrimp and my fish let him clean them and my snow flake eil sticks his face out for Mr shrimp to clean him all the fish love him. :nod:

fish will eat the babies, of both types.

hazmat that is a lot of tangs in a 125G!!! how are they getting along???

They get along very well...They almost act like schooling fish sometimes, swimming all together...cool to watch

I still can't believe you have 8 tangs in a 125G reef tank. That is one overstocked tank ... you should check parameters several times weekly. Tangs are among the messiest fish, as you are no doubt aware. And at an average of say 6" adult, you have close to 50" with just the tangs there.

I had never noticed that in your sig before, Hazmat! That is quite the impressive tang collection in one tank. Check out the 125 in my sig, I thought I was doing good to combine a scopas and yellow in the same tank. Do you find that all the "mess" that they create enhances your coral growth? I had heard that if you can combine messy type fishes in a reef tank but still manage to keep the water parameters in line, you will have outstanding coral growth. Sounds simple enough until you try to implement it. Anyway, congrats on achieving this balance in your tank!

I know some people think that I am way overstocked with Tangs But......
I think it's a matter of opinion. Yes I do believe people have trouble with that many tangs in one tank. No I don't believe everything I read about marine setup's, fish, coral etc. for the simple fact that you can look at two different books and they will contradict each other on the same subject. Lot's of people here make comment about how many fish should be in a tank and I personally don't agree with most of the comments. Some of you know I have a good friend that runs (about 18 years) and soon will own my LFS. He knows exactly what I have in my tank and I'll take his experience and advice over any book. Good example.... A few weeks ago I went to the Aquarium Of The Pacific, the had a tank with about 50 percula clowns and 50 blue tangs. The tank could not been more the 400g now according to comments made here and what's in some books, The Aquarium Of The Pacific with nothing but marine experts, Are wrong........ Hmmm I don't think so. I have yet to see any of my tangs fight, pick on or so much as even flair at each other. They get along so good and they all have their own place to go hide. They are like a small fish gang swimming together all the time. My water parameters have never changed they have been stable from the end of cycling.
My corals are growing vary well and I personally don't see the mess from them. I spend about 20 min once a week to clean the tank and that's it. This post was not ment to start a big argument but just to let you know my opinion on this subject.

BTW if you want to see the tank with the perculas and blue tangs that I mentioned. It's in the members aquarium pic section called "Aquarium Of The Pacific"

Hazmat

Hazmat, dunno about your aquarium. But CMAS organized a behind the scenes tour of the Shedd Aquarium's reef exhibit. What looks like a 50G tank is a misnomer, and from the main area they have several tanks that look like htey have 50 tangs in a small tank.

But from behind, it is one gigantic lake, literally tens of thousands of gallons, probably more. The partitions don't go all the way up for one, so the fish can get around a bit, but more to the point the water flows all the way through the exhibit, so the water volume is much larger.

I am assuming you added your tangs at the same time, and as juveniles? If not, your success does boggle my mind, as several of your species are known as aggressive fish towards not only tangs but towards anything similarly shaped (angels, butterflies, etc). And I DO wonder long run about the fish being overly cramped for space. Tangs are powerful swimmers...

All that said, I entirely agree with what you say about experiences differing wildly. I didn't mean to say the inches per gallon was at all firm.

Most reactions

Back