Peeling Betta

nino

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So one of my boys, a plakat from Synirr looks like he is peeling. Right between his eyes there is a light looking patch which was not there five days ago when I left him at school to go home for Thanksgiving. The only thing I can say is that the day I left I noticed one of his scales sticking up. I put in a little Melafix but since last week he has gone completely bald. It's quite distinct, since he is dark red. I only just got home so haven't treated him in anyway yet but was hoping for ideas on what this could be. He seems in good spirits, swimming around all zippy like he always does. The only thing I can think of (besides it being some disease) is that he bumped his nose on the lava-like rock in his tank (from a petstore). But that only explains one scale being a little roughed.

Synirr, if you read this, is it at all possible that he is marbling, it's kinda shimmery? Just another thought I had :dunno:

I will try to get a picture up soon, but he rarely stays still so that might not work out.

Er... you mean his scales are completely missing in that area?? If the scales are still there it's possible he's marbling, though that generally started on the fins for everyone else... but if the scales are completely missing that's not good :blink:

Could he have a parasite? Like velvet? And he’s scratching himself, so much so that he scratched his scales off? Take a close look at him and see if he has any little white dots. :/

No white dots and I've never seen him scratch himself. THe only other thing he has is one of his "flippers" is smaller than the other, but he came to me like that sooo I don't think that's related. It's really hard to tell if his scales are there or not. It both does and doesn't look like it :/

Any ideas on what I can do temporarily until I have time to go to the store? I screwed up and brought my aquarium salt home with my 10 gallon on thanksgiving and forgot to bring it back to school. I have melafix and something called "Desa Fin" which is for ponds but I have found it works in very very dilute solutions. It says it works for parasits, fungus, bacteria and ich.

Ideas, anyone?

Most reactions

Back