Pebbles To Sand

NORMANBOND007

Reaction score
I have loads of sand and am going to start transferring my pebbles out of my tank. I am now wondering whether this was a good idea. Been sitting here now for about an hour wondering whether to take my bags of sand back. My tank is 5ft long and have loads of live plants and hiding places as i have a Blue Crayfish, Peacock Eel, Albino Shark, Silver Shark and

8 Neon Tetras
1 Golden Gourami
2 Dwarf Gouramis
2 Kissing Gouramis
1 Talking Catfish
1 Albino Catfish
7 Guppis
4 Mollies

Can anyone tell me if this will work? Went to a new fish shop around the corner and all there tanks were white sand, well it looks like sand and they looked good. But my tank has always had pebbles will the transfer be ok for my fishes/others. I have an Interpet Undergravel Filter and I am also worried whether the sand will mess up the cycle and get stuck anywhere it shouldn't be.

HELP???

--
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
.....Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

I also forgot to mention in the top right handside of the tank i have baby guppies 2 off them. I will have to be extra carefull when i transfer them as they are tiny. Came back from a 3 day holiday yesterday in the Highlands and I noticed I had little babies.

--
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
.....Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Attachments

• tanknew.JPG
    tanknew.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 45
  • babies.JPG
    babies.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
Ask a mod to move this to chit chat you will get more replys, good luck, mods names are in blue at the bottom of the forum.

Sand and undergravel filters dont work together. Unless you have another form of established filtration you cant really use sand :(

Sand and undergravel filters dont work together. Unless you have another form of established filtration you cant really use sand :(

Thanks, I was thinking maybe a small layer of pebbles then some sand. But maybe the sand will eventually fall inbetween the pebbles and through the filter. But then again the sand might just stay still after a couple of days with or wothout as my bed of the tank is 5ft long.

Wouldn't advise sand and gravel it just mixes up into a mess, if you do have wan't sand you will have to remove the under gravel filter, and get a internal filter for the tank.

I was making an order on-line the other day and saw this....

'Gravel Tidy, Sub Gravel Separator',
Fine mesh perforated plastic sheeting
Flexible and easily cut to shape
Ideal for separating substrate layers in both freshwater and marine aquariums
Wide range of sizes to suit most aquariums

Would this work to separate gravel and sand so you can have both in the same tank?

Most reactions

Back