Peat Filtration ?

kylealastairlove

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi there, i wanted to know a bit about peat filtration and what the difference would be to normal filtration, is it better ? is it needed for certain fish/environments ?
you get my drift, tell me everything you know ;)

Peat lowers your PH so it is suitable for a different range of fish! :good:

Westwood

thankyou :) do you know if its more complicated to run a tank with peat filtration? i've been researching neon tetra's finding out more and more about them, and on a certain website it said to use peat filtration for them, something to do with mimicking their natural habitat as closely as possible and i got a little confused haha :p

I think it is just like any other media you use in your filter. Neon tetras already have a wide PH range (5-7), So if you are in this range I wouldn't bother messing with PH.

I think it also changes the hardness of your water, but I know nothing about this. :S Hopefully someone will clarify!

Westwood

thanks for your help westwood, you have a good point actually why should i mess with the ph, i have a Ph of around 7.6 which i imagine should be fine. i find it scary having soft acidic water, because i know if its soft water then its more likely to fluctate and change so i'd have to keep a constant eye on it, im happy with having hard alkaline water because everything stays very stable :)

Peat does soften your water (gH and kH). Fish such as discus and rams need soft water. Neons normally would need really soft water too, but since most are commercially raised, your water doesn't have to be (as) soft.

my water is slightly hard, and is also slightly alkaline, would neon tetra's be okay with this do you think ?

Most reactions

Back