Pearl Gourami - Possible Ich/whitespot

nion

Reaction score
I just noticed this yesterday or the day before. I'm not sure what it is though I'm thinking Ich/Whitespot.

If anybody can provide insight, I'd appreciate it. See the pictures below.

This is the best I can do as normally he's very friendly and will come to the glass for my hand, but he was AFRAID of the camera.

gourami1.jpg

gourami2.jpg

gourami3.jpg

gourami4.jpg

gourami5.jpg

I will try to get better pictures.

Please help asap!

Thanks.

Do you mean the white bleached out patches on the fish.
Whitespot looks like the fish has been sprinkled in salt.

White patches can be baceterial to parasite, so if there no flicking and rubbing I would treat it as bacterial.
Good luck.

I got advice from my LFS to treat as bacterial. Also going to perform a 50% water change, filter change and gravel vacuum.

I will post if anything changes.

After some treatment using Maroxy, it looks like the spots have spread to patches on his body. His bottom fins look like they're thinning a little as well.

I will try to post pictures tonight. Any advice by the sound of things?

PS: He is still swimming, eating and acting normally. He does not appear "sick" other than his body.

You need maracyn one and two.

The white patches could be an infection by the bacteria Flavobacterium columnare, formerly known as Flexibacter columnaris This is a gram negative bacteria which commonly affects tropical aquarium fish and Anabantoids like gouramis are especially susceptible. The bacteria will produce white cottony patches on the body or mouth of the fish and is also known as Cotton Wool Disease. The cottony patches sometimes form over the fish's back like the saddle on a horse and are called "saddleback lesions".

This disease can be fatal, but if caught and treated early the fish may be saved.

The disease is brought on by poor water conditions and stress such as harassment by other fish. Some think that low oxygen content in the water may contribute to the growth of this bacteria so increasing water movement and/or adding an airstone may help.

The Maracyn and Maracyn-2 combination is good. Another good antibiotic is kanamycin found in Kanaplex made by Seachem. It is a good idea to decrease the water temperature to around 76[sup]o[/sup]F to slow the growth of the bacteria. You might also add aquarium salt to a final concentration of 0.3% (3g per litre of water) during treatment.

Maybe this might be helpful to you. :unsure:

Most reactions

Back