Pearl danios

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I have a 64 litre tank and the water hardness is 309 ppm. I currently have peppered cories and a few guppies. Would Pearl danios be okay in this tank and if so how many?
Thank you.

It is a good idea to include the tank dimensions as well as volume when asking about suitable fish, as the linear area can often be more important. Danios generally like to swim more than say rasbora. This species, which I assume is Danio albolineatus (common names can be confusing), attains 2.25 inches (5.7 cm) needs at minimum a 60 cm (24 inches) length aquarium, but a 30-inch (75cm) would be preferable. I would assume a 64 liter would not be this spacious, but correct me if I am mistaken.

It is a good idea to include the tank dimensions as well as volume when asking about suitable fish, as the linear area can often be more important. Danios generally like to swim more than say rasbora. This species, which I assume is Danio albolineatus (common names can be confusing), attains 2.25 inches (5.7 cm) needs at minimum a 60 cm (24 inches) length aquarium, but a 30-inch (75cm) would be preferable. I would assume a 64 liter would not be this spacious, but correct me if I am mistaken.
My tank dimension are 60 cm x 32cm x 37cm

There are two fish with similar common names. Which one do you mean?

Pearl danios (as mentioned by Bryon, though he uses a different Latin name from Seriously Fish)

Celestial pearl danios
The celestial Pearl danios ideally but if they aren’t suitable also the other Pearl danios

Celestial pearl danios (cpd's) are more suited to your tank than pearl danios. They are smaller and less active swimmers - it's the swimming behaviour which means that pearl danios, like zebra danios, are better suited to a longer tank.

Cpds are timid fish and do better in a large group and in a tank with a fair amount of decor. And they are fine in a 60 cm/24 inch tank.

Celestial pearl danios (cpd's) are more suited to your tank than pearl danios. They are smaller and less active swimmers - it's the swimming behaviour which means that pearl danios, like zebra danios, are better suited to a longer tank.

Cpds are timid fish and do better in a large group and in a tank with a fair amount of decor. And they are fine in a 60 cm/24 inch tank.
My LFS sell them in 5’s. Would that number be okay and would they be okay with my guppies?

You would need 10 rather than 5. They need a bigger group than the 6 usually recommended for shoaling fish. (Why do shops sell shoaling fish at so much for 5 when they need more than 5?)

They should be OK with guppies.

You would need 10 rather than 5. They need a bigger group than the 6 usually recommended for shoaling fish. (Why do shops sell shoaling fish at so much for 5 when they need more than 5?)

They should be OK with guppies.
Okay thank you for the help. Much appreciated

Pearl danios (as mentioned by Bryon, though he uses a different Latin name from Seriously Fish)

I had a look and SF is here in error. As the details in the "Notes" section make obvious, this group of "danios" has been the subject of several studies during the past two decades, and by very reputable ichthyologists in this fish group. SF stops around 2012, and is correct up to that date. But in 2015 a major work (Kullander et al, 2015) reclassified the three "danio" genera into the single genus Danio, with three divisions. Zhang et al, 2016 followed, and Eschmeyer's Catalog of Fishes has Danio as the valid accepted genus. It will be technical for many, but I cannot put it clearer, so here is the summation from this study (Kullander et al, 2015):

Phylogenetic analysis. The result of the phylogenetic analysis is summarized in Figure 7. Danio is monophyletic (Bayesian posterior probability, BPP 1.00). Within Danio, there is a trichotomy comprising the monophyletic chain danios (BPP 0.89), and two clades of non-chain danios. The first clade is D. margaritatus (Roberts) + D. feegradei (BPP 0.79), in the other clade (BPP 0.87) D. albolineatus (Blyth) is the sister group to D. kyathit Fang + D. tinwini Kullander & Fang (BPP 0.69). The chain danios comprise two clades. In the first clade (BPP 0.66), D. dangila is the sister of D. meghalayensis + D. assamila (BPP 0.99). In the second clade (BPP 0.99) D. concatenatus + D. sysphigmatus (BPP 1.00) are sister group to a clade comprising D. catenatus + D. annulosus (BPP 1.00).

This (if it works) is a link to the Kullander paper:

This is a revision to SF I will likely leave alone, as changes to the genus are very involved because of the electronic connections hither and yon, and the site owner has to do it, and it is a big job.

Most reactions

Back