Pearl Arowana

kniesh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just after anyones thoughts on these. I was gonna order one now online for my 6x2x2, will be upgraded within a year, as I have just had a disaster with a small Black Aro I bought an a bigger Fire Eel. Anyone kept one, there doesnt seem to be much aquarium info out there plus personal experiences are better

Just after anyones thoughts on these. I was gonna order one now online for my 6x2x2, will be upgraded within a year, as I have just had a disaster with a small Black Aro I bought an a bigger Fire Eel. Anyone kept one, there doesnt seem to be much aquarium info out there plus personal experiences are better

Nasty little gits!
Don't keep anything with it, will most likely end bad....

I'm not keen on them myself, but quite commonly kept, so I'm sure you will find all you need to know.

Agree with above they are by far the most aggressive arowana species,
In a 6x2x2 most will not tolerate any tankmates other than bottom feeders

Thanks guys, seen this in the oddball species index here (which is the only place i didnt look). looks like its back to another one. Thinking Black or gonna save an get a decent one for around £300

Thanks Dave/Cane. The Black Aro I got was from Pier m8, unfortunately I havent seen it for nearly 2 days, think I misjudged its size against either my Fire Eel or Lima Shovelnose.Either way looks like one has had the poor little thing. Gutted too as I have another tank perfect for me to grow it out in. They have silvers in Pier too an I am going to go back an get one or the other next week. The Silvers are bigger and cheaper so am thinking one of these, although am sure a Black looks better.

surely they will be silver aros at that price

No m8, they are definately Blacks, problem is they are real Babies. Some still had the egg sack on. I asked them to feed them for me so I could pick out the strongest without an egg sack. I am so gutted I got the poor thing eaten.

The larger silvers in there are £11.

Thanks Dave/Cane. The Black Aro I got was from Pier m8, unfortunately I havent seen it for nearly 2 days, think I misjudged its size against either my Fire Eel or Lima Shovelnose.Either way looks like one has had the poor little thing. Gutted too as I have another tank perfect for me to grow it out in. They have silvers in Pier too an I am going to go back an get one or the other next week. The Silvers are bigger and cheaper so am thinking one of these, although am sure a Black looks better.

No m8, they are definately Blacks, problem is they are real Babies. Some still had the egg sack on. I asked them to feed them for me so I could pick out the strongest without an egg sack. I am so gutted I got the poor thing eaten.

Might have a pop down for one of them, how small is small? like 4-5inch?

If that. My Lima is around 6-7" and my Eel slightly larger and it is almost certain one of these ate it. I would say 3-4" more likely. I am going back on saturday anyway as I ordered some Massivore pellets so hopefully they may be a bit stronger then, an I can use my smaller tank for a bit.

If that. My Lima is around 6-7" and my Eel slightly larger and it is almost certain one of these ate it. I would say 3-4" more likely. I am going back on saturday anyway as I ordered some Massivore pellets so hopefully they may be a bit stronger then, an I can use my smaller tank for a bit.
Wow that is small! the sorubim lima would have had it, mine seemed to like the taste of other fish. Can;t see an eel managing it .

He is my main suspect, i was sure it was him. He's actually stopped the headstanding now though and spends most his time swimming in and out of the wood. Made up, wasn't sure about the headstanding.

Not sure what mine was, may just have been settling in to be honest, but now he doesn't do it at all so its all good. Much better fish when its not doing it.

just got back from pier, the black arowanas are about 3 inch, they dont look too clever, only one was swimming around. I think only about 50% of them will live. I was going to get one but no chance! I went to look at a marbled motoro female he said was there but it wasnt, was also going to get a flagtail prochilodus, but got annoyed and came home!

just got back from pier, the black arowanas are about 3 inch, they dont look too clever, only one was swimming around. I think only about 50% of them will live. I was going to get one but no chance! I went to look at a marbled motoro female he said was there but it wasnt, was also going to get a flagtail prochilodus, but got annoyed and came home!
That sucks they're a good price, although like they say you get what you pay for. Was the ray not marbled or was it not a female? Only been there once and they had a nice bit of everything there.

Most reactions

Back