Peacock Eel

Gazoo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
A friend of mine who has been keeping fish for only about 5 months called me today and told me he bought a peacock eel. His 22 US gallon tank currently has 8 various danios, 4 corry cats, and 1 apple snail. When I asked if he did any prior research, he said "no" but the LPS employee said it would be "OK". Something tells me it won't be a good mix. :(

I'm guessing they need a good hiding spot, prefer frozen food and will probably outgrow his tank. Non of which the employee told him. I wish he would have called me first. :crazy:

Does anyone have experience with them?

Peacock eels are species of Macrognathus, usually Macrognathus siamensis. They're quite small fish (typically getting to about 20 cm under aquarium conditions) so while predatory, they're not particularly threatening to anything bigger than a male guppy. Unlike the larger spiny eels (genus Mastacembelus) these smaller eels appear to be gregarious, and are best kept in groups of at least three specimens. They will be much more outgoing kept thus.

All the small spiny eels are sensitive to abrasion of the skin. Unless the eel is kept in a sandy aquarium, this is a very real risk. In fact, I'd class it as an almost dead certainty. What happens is the skin sooner or later gets scratched, the spiny eel develops a bloody patch across the wound, bacteria set in, and then the fish dies. Quite possibly Erythromycin or similar would help, but it's simply easier to keep them in tanks with smooth (not sharp!) silica sand rather than gravel. Obviously avoid things like Tahitian Moon Sand because that stuff is lethally sharp and even the manufacturers tell you not to use it with bottom dwelling fish.

Feeding is another big problem. These eels will eat wet frozen foods such as bloodworms as well as small live foods like earthworms. But they are too slow to compete with catfish and loaches, and I'd simply recommend against combining (small) spiny eels with ANY nocturnal bottom feeders.

Finally, they're great escape artists. If they don't starve and they don't die from bacterial infections, there's a good chance they'll end up on the carpet.

I wrote a piece for one of the fishkeeping magazines a while back, called "The Truth About Spiny Eels" that your friend might find useful. Essentially the argument is that these *aren't* easy fish and despite being widely sold, most people don't have community tanks ideally suited to their very specific needs. On the flip side, these are smart, rewarding animals if you take the effort to care for them properly. The bigger species at least become hand tame, and actually rather friendly.

Cheers, Neale

Peacock or spiny nose eels are fine and peaceful. They grow to about 8-10 inches but have very small mouths. They like small frozen or live foods, black worms, bloodworms, daphnia, etc. They spend most of the day hiding under rocks & wood or in the gravel. They normally come out at night but will come out during the day if there are lots of plants and the tank isn't too bright.

They are scaleless fish so if your friend has to treat the tank with any medication, make sure he uses one that is safe for catfish, loaches & eels.

Based on your input I'm going to suggest that he returns it. Already he has 4 strikes: gravel is used for substrate, I can't see him dealing with frozen food, he's attached to the corys, and he likes fish that stay in the open.

Nice article by the way nmonks.

Most reactions

Back