Peaceful Oddball Fish Suitable For A Large Community Tank

Reaction score
Just a curiosity thread, but are there are oddball fish suitable for a 5x2x2 freshwater community tank with a community of fish which are mostly small (small fish like guppys, platys, corys, neon tetras etc) which is a peaceful oddball fish? Its just that most oddball fish i see are either predatory or agressive/territorial, so i'm wondering about oddball fish that would be good in the above stated sort of community tank, either so i can recommend others such fish, or look into getting them for myself in the future :thumbs: .

depends on what your views are of oddballs, but bumblebee gobies usally do will in communities, providing they get enough food and have plenty of space to hide.
killifish are community fish too usally. some are more suited than others.
as you said, most oddballs are aggressive and dont do well with other fish.

depends on what your views are of oddballs, but bumblebee gobies usally do will in communities, providing they get enough food and have plenty of space to hide.
killifish are community fish too usally. some are more suited than others.
as you said, most oddballs are aggressive and dont do well with other fish.

I thought bumblebee gobies were brackish fish?

they are i thought. i once had a pair of killies with some guppies. i got a really nice new male guppy and once i had let him float and put him in the tank i left. i came back 5 minutes later to check on them and my male killie had him in his mouth. i screamed to my dad and then he grabbed the killie which dropped the guppy and flushed the mean killie down the toilet. wish i could have kept him and given him back to the fish store but my dad just did it. the guppy was mising half his tail and couldnt swim. 2 weeks later he died

It's a common misnomer that BBG's are brackish water fish. Sure, they do great in brackish water, but they'll also do great in fresh too.

As for being suitable for a large community, I wouldn't be so sure. They're tiny in comparison with the majority of fish offered.

It depends really- what size oddballs do you want? Smaller options are things like peacock gudgeons, some of the FW goby species, killies etc, but slightly larger peaceful ones are again certain gudgeons, and there are others that I really can't remember at the moment. Oh, also smaller eel species would be good. And chaca chaca's are great community oddballs.

The eel catfish Channallabes apus and Flat Head Eel Catfish Gymnallabes typus spring to mind
for your scenario :good:

bumblebee gobies are mostly brackish, but some do good in freshwater, i keep mine in freshwater.
you are a little cruel for flushing a killifish down the toilet, after all, it wasnt the kills fault for eating the guppy, you did put them together, please in furute, dont flush fish, atleats give them back to the lfs.
maybe opt for smaller killifish.

yeah i said before i wish my dad hadnt done it. i think the killie was a panchax

It depends really- what size oddballs do you want? Smaller options are things like peacock gudgeons, some of the FW goby species, killies etc, but slightly larger peaceful ones are again certain gudgeons, and there are others that I really can't remember at the moment. Oh, also smaller eel species would be good. And chaca chaca's are great community oddballs.

Thanks for the suggestions :good: , size of the fish really isn't an issue as long as it the tank i have will offer it plenty of space throughout its life, i looked at the peacock gudgeons, is this link below quite accurate on them;

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/cares...?caresheetID=49

?

According to planetcatfish though they recommend only keeping chaca chaca's in species tanks due to the fishes weird ability to quickly lower the ph of tanks and their predatory nature, i don't think my cories would last long with these catfish;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=136

The eel catfish Channallabes apus and Flat Head Eel Catfish Gymnallabes typus spring to mind
for your scenario :good:

I really like the look of Channallabes apus, always had a thing for eel like fish with lots of barbels, looks like they have an interesting history too;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4902784.stm

Planetcatfish profile;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=631

I think if i had this fish though i might have to do something about the tank hood, as there are two large holes at the back at either end where the wires for fish tank equipment go through (this is on all of my tanks), on the other hand the holes are about 4-5 or so inches above the water level, so do you think i could be ok? I would just be really gutted if i had a fish like this and it escaped, how prone would you say they are to escaping from tanks? How prone are they to getting parasite/bacterial infections as well as i'm kinda worried now after reading the planetcatfish profile on them? Also, what sorts of frozen foods are good for both adult and juvenile specimens- does their diet need to be altered as they grow at all? Will a a 2-3inch deep fine white silica sand substrate be ok for them?
Same sort of questions with feeding and stuff with the flat eel head catfish, as i really do not know anything about them;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=129

I really appreiciate your help though :thumbs: .

I think if i had this fish though i might have to do something about the tank hood, as there are two large holes at the back at either end where the wires for fish tank equipment go through (this is on all of my tanks), on the other hand the holes are about 4-5 or so inches above the water level, so do you think i could be ok?
just fill any hole with sponge.
i have found one sponge twice the size of the hole
will fill any gap when squeezed into it.
it moulds around wires and pipes etc.

Most reactions

Back