Peaceful Community Cichlid??

Mustang5L5 said:
. I've heard angels eat neons in the wild, but has anyone ever seen a captive angel eat a captive neon??
Yes. in my old 29 gal tank I had an angle that was about 8 inches tall (fin to fin) he would stalk them and slowly but surely my neons disapeared.

You will definately be ok with the Keyholes. They didnt appeal to me much at first but after a while they really grow on you. Gorgeous little things. You should also check out Clown Loaches. Obviously this is not a cichlid but they get big (10-12 inches after a few years), feed from your hand, and are compatible with basically anything you might want to get later on down the track.

I have a heaverly planted 29g,with 2 keyholes and 2 kribs.I Agree with David,the keyholes are very peaceful and are lovley fish to keep,both of these cichlids seem to love the thick plants and the kribs have just breed!

Ok well it's down to pair of keyholes and pair of kribs.

Aren't kribs Africans? If so my tank is pretty much setup s. american style. I'll prob go for some keyholes then. Thing is, none of the LFS near me have some.

Im also trying to find 5 kuhli loaches.

I don't think my tank is big enough for discus...nor am i expeirenced enough

If you want to stick with South American then go for the Keyholes....you could get them online if they don't have them local??

In regards to the tetra's and angels and the food chain, the angels can and may eat neon's once they're big enough. Once they've eaten one, look out...
**In theory** you can add an angel to an established tetra tank (with hiding spots) and the tetra's should be fine as they already know the layout of the tank and all the hiding spots. If, however, you add tetra's later to a tank where there is already an angel living, chances are they'll be turned to plant food. Think of it this way: if a big fish lives in a tank and bite-size morsel of a fish is dropped into the tank, the small fish is probably considered a live snack.

I've had 2 larger angels with a dozen tetra's (neon, glo-light, and silver-tip's) for about 6 months now. I added the angels after the tetra's established the tank. I added my killifish (see my avatar) & female betta about 3-4 months ago. In the last 2 weeks, they have all gained a liking for fresh fish. It started 2 weeks ago when I saw something looked wrong with my black angel. Closer examination showed half of a neon hanging out it's mouth. Within 2 hours, between the black angel, the killi, and the female betta, there was no trace of the tetra. I added 2 true siamese flying fox's the same day a few hours earlier, and by noon the next day one was missing as well as a silvertip. My tetra's are vanishing at a rate of one every few days now. I know the black angel likes them. The larger gold angel has never gone near one. My killi has revealed itself to be quite the hunter in recent weeks. In the morning before lights on, the killi can be found hiding in a bush behind a pillar waiting for an innocent snack to swim by (killi's spend most their time roaming the surface for bugs). When it's feeding time and flakes are being fed, the killi ignores the flakes and tries to get the tetra's while they feed. Once the bloodworms are out though, the killi forgets about all other fish.

If it weren't for your dwarf frogs (unsure of these) and assuming you want to keep your tetra's, I suggest looking into a killi. They are spectacular looking fish. Consider the fact that the one I have (avatar) is very plain as far as killie's go....

Most reactions

Back