Paretroplus species

bifaciatus

Reaction score
Has anybody kept the Paretroplus species of cichlid before? I researched them on the net and these species of fish are endangered and one species thought to be extinct. I am just wondering are they easy to keep and raise? any special care need to be taken? I have never seen these fish before until i stop by this fish shop in Houston, Texas. The owner said that's the first time he got them in. He has 5 different species of them. Very tempting... I am still debating should I get a new tank for blue dempseys or these endangered fish..... -_-

Any input will be appreciated.

Have never kept Cichlids personally, but would a shop be allowed to trade in endangered species?

If they're tank raised then no problem. Don't know about U.S legislations compared to UK but I keep Paratilapia Pollini 'Big Spot' and these most likely came from public aquaria spawnings. Yours would most likely be from a similar source. Go for them simply for the fact that you will be doing a good thing for the environment. A fishkeeping couple by the names of Sonia Guinane and Dave Tourle ( I think the spellings right) in the UK have been championing the cause. I'll see what I can find for you .... :)

The Cichlid Room

The Cichlid Room

Most reactions

Back