PARASITIC EGGS?! What is wrong with this gourami?!

I've only really found info on this in regards to it being a cold water/koi disease, but the few pics I've found of it does loosely match the description.
I have a girlfriend who has a lab microscope so I'm going to try and get her to do a slide for me so I can confirm what this gross stuff is.
Other than that, it seems that it's just treated like all other parasites.

It's not Trichodina or koi pox.

I haven't seen anything like that before and think it's probably some sort of parasite that isn't normally fish related but has ended up on the fish.

If you have a microscope, you could try taking a few off the fish and putting them under the scope. Alternatively you might need to contact a fish health lab and see if they will have a look at them. Most countries have a fish health department in their department of agriculture, which test fish for free (for members of the public). And if it's something new to science or something they haven't seen, they will jump at the chance to see it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is too far out there to be normal!

I haven't been able to get him scraped yet (friend has a nasty cold at the moment) but contacting the agriculture part of the Government did cross my mind as well, but more for the possible danger of it getting into the environment.

Fishy is still happy and "healthy" and getting feisty for food now. Still zero changes to his condition.

Take it to fish health at the department of agriculture and get them to ID it. Then let us know what it is.

This is the 2nd or 3rd thing I have seen in 20 years that I don't know what it is and it interests me :)

Most reactions

Back