Paradise fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi it is like my third thread about this fish but I still need a second opinion. So as I was searching for a tankmate for my paradise fish I had the Idea of getting another female from the place I got my fish but I dont know if the fish would remember they know eachother. My tank is only 10 gallon but this summer I will get a 33 gallon. I want to have another fish because my fish is glass surfing I think correct me if im wrong but he swims left to right of the tank all day long almost. If my tank is heavily planted could it work or I just wait until I get my 33 gallon? Im worried there would be a bully if I get another female. My fish is now almost 2 inch so it is pretty small.

I would not get another fish for the current tank. Paradise fish need a bigger tank than 10 gallons so I would wait until you got the bigger tank. I can only assume the fish is glass surfing as she is stressed by the tank size.

I don't think the fish in the shop tank will remember the fish you have now.

I would not get another fish for the current tank. Paradise fish need a bigger tank than 10 gallons so I would wait until you got the bigger tank. I can only assume the fish is glass surfing as she is stressed by the tank size.

I don't think the fish in the shop tank will remember the fish you have now.
ok then :( But honey gourami can be two in ten gallon and my fish is enven smaller than one or I can't have another fish because they swim a lot and they would be stressed togheter in 10 gallon?

Territory disputes would be the issue unfortunately, but keep on planning for that 30g this summer itll be here before you know it

Territory disputes would be the issue unfortunately, but keep on planning for that 30g this summer itll be here before you know it
ok thanks for the replies, I tough females were not so territorial. So I guess also any other small fish would not work with her? Otherwise I will stick to my shrimp plan.

It doesn't just depend on the size of the fish but also on their behaviour. Paradise fish, especially males, are aggressive territorial fish which grow to 3 inches. Honey gouramis are, for gouramis, peaceful fish which grow to 2 inches. The difference in adult size and temperament means that honey gouramis can be kept in smaller tanks than paradise fish.

Tank size matters in this case 10g is a small tank but I'd recommend looking for used tanks they're a lot cheaper and $50 can get you a 100g possibly. Hell I snagged a 75g free with stand. Maybe bring it up to your parents and see if you can go bigger than the 30g. Then your only limited to water parameters compared to tank size with tank mates

ok thanks for the replies, I tough females were not so territorial. So I guess also any other small fish would not work with her? Otherwise I will stick to my shrimp plan.

Correct. Here are some useful excerpts from a profile I wrote several years back for another site.

Compatibility/Temperament: This species is not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. Best kept as a pair on its own, or with medium-sized fast-swimming barbs and danios in larger tanks.

Minimum Tank Suggestion: 30 inches in length (approximately 25 gallons) for one or a pair.

Size: Normally around 3.5 inches, some males may attain 4 inches.

Correct. Here are some useful excerpts from a profile I wrote several years back for another site.

Compatibility/Temperament: This species is not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. Best kept as a pair on its own, or with medium-sized fast-swimming barbs and danios in larger tanks.

Minimum Tank Suggestion: 30 inches in length (approximately 25 gallons) for one or a pair.

Size: Normally around 3.5 inches, some males may attain 4 inches.
Thanks for the informations[/QUOTE]

Tank size matters in this case 10g is a small tank but I'd recommend looking for used tanks they're a lot cheaper and $50 can get you a 100g possibly. Hell I snagged a 75g free with stand. Maybe bring it up to your parents and see if you can go bigger than the 30g. Then your only limited to water parameters compared to tank size with tank mates
It was already in my plan to buy a used tank. You were really lucky for your 75g!

Yeah my girlfriend ended up snagging it from me though so much wasted space for a rainbow shark

Attachments

• 20200203_140755.jpg
    20200203_140755.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 87
All these tanks were $100 or less. Only issue I got is lack of room lol. Just gotta hunt!

Attachments

• 20200131_192908.jpg
    20200131_192908.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200131_192903.jpg
    20200131_192903.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200131_190439.jpg
    20200131_190439.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 93

Most reactions

Back