Pangasius

Convicts aren't always 5", my adult female was only 2.5" ;)

I'd say a pangasius in a 5ft with three plecs and all those other fish too would be vastly overstocked anyway, even if it didn't grow any bigger (unlikely). You'd need at least a 180g for the three plecs if they were all the same species, just for them to have enough territory. Obviously in a 180g you'd have room for other middle/top level fish though lol - not just the plecs!

But I'd rehome that pangasius while you can - if you can. Once it hits 12-18" it'll be nigh on impossible to find it a new home and euthanasia might have to become an option once he got even bigger. Try finding numbers for local public aquariums (if there are any near you?). They might have room for him?

In his other post he said his 7' pangasius catfish ate his 5' female convict :blink:

Hi,
I would never buy a pangasius now but did when I started fishkeeping. I had a small shoal of 5 in a 6ft tank and they never got beyond 14" in several years. Maybe they were stunted by their environment. As a group they were much happier and rarely startled. They became used to me putting my hands in the tank and would swim close to my hands - they were so soft and silky. Any injuries they reovered well from. They did not eat fast moving small fishes such as debauwi cats and scissortails. They survived a house move from Bristol to Surrey and then a local move too. I forget how long they lived but a minimum of 5 years, could be up to ten. As I said I wouldn't get them again except to rehome unwanted fish then I would get a shoal.
There has been a lot of confusion and changes over the years - mine were bought in 1991 and I think they realised in recent years that p sutchi were just juvenile of the larger species.
Alison

I used to keep an Pangasius with my fancy goldfish.
He was a rescue from my fiancee's old work, he found a tropical tank than needed a bad clean out, living inside was him, there were two plecs, rock solid, been dead for sometime, but the pangasius had never touched them. The tank had no light, heat or filtration, the boss had just left them to die basically.

'Bear' was brought home, he was given to my friends at first to put into there small tropical tank, not knowing at the time what he was. I watched him when released from his bag and it looked like he was trying to jump out of the water, we realised the water temperature was too warm for him. So I took him home and he moved in my 3ft tank with my lionheads, orandas and weather loaches. He survived around 2 years and then died.

I never realised how big they got until I went for a visit to Calico Aquatics, near Penrith, UK. There was an big 'Bear' looking at me with a large Gourami. I couldn't believe it! It was HUGE! It had the typical white dots on the nose, where it had been bashing itself around the tank, I saw a 5incher today with an eye missing. I love it when I visit places like Pets At Home they have the advertised at growning between 8 and 12 inches, I just laugh and advice anyone around 'quiet loudly' not to buy them. Why are they for sale in the first place?? There is a tank full of Black and Golden ones at the LFS.

Emma x

Corect me if im wrong but i belive this is the record pangasius ever caught, there are a few different species i think but i dont know which this one is.
GiantCatfish-WWF.jpg

Corect me if im wrong but i belive this is the record pangasius ever caught, there are a few different species i think but i dont know which this one is.
GiantCatfish-WWF.jpg

That is Pangasius Gigas if memory serves me correctly.

Its huge! Are they the type we keep in our aquariums or a compleatly different one?

Its huge! Are they the type we keep in our aquariums or a compleatly different one?

I think that's the Mekong catfish, the largest freshwater fish in the world. We normally keep smaller species, although they still grow large.

this has to be one of the most circular topics I've read in ages :shifty:

Most reactions

Back