Panda Spawning

Rover fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got home yesterday to discover 2 eggs laying on the gravel (god knows how i noticed) i managed to get one and stick it on the front glass so i could see it. anyway within about half a second of me moving my finger one of the endlers swam straight up and swallowed it, i wasnt happy. I then noticed this morning more spawning so i watched for a while and noticed everytime the cory layed an egg the endlers would follow up and eat it.
I have no idea how many eggs are been layed but the all look orange. i would love to see some hatch and grow but just cant think how to do it (i cant take the fish out) i just cant get the eggs before the endler's has i need them to harden first and apart from the 2 i found yesterday the rest get eaten in seconds.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Chris.

I suggest, depending upon how many endlers you have moving them into a breeding trap or another tank while the other fish are spawning. Once hatched the endlers shouldn't give the newborns any problems!

I suggest reading the threads on this forum related to breeding corys for all the information you will ever need.

Hmmm never seen orange panda eggs...

Normally they're white/creamy coloured,quite large compared to some cory eggs and gradually darken in colour to near black on the fifth day :)

I suggest, depending upon how many endlers you have moving them into a breeding trap or another tank while the other fish are spawning. Once hatched the endlers shouldn't give the newborns any problems!

i have not got a breeding trap and no way of getting one at the minute but thanks.

I suggest reading the threads on this forum related to breeding corys for all the information you will ever need.

ive done a lot of reading but my circumstances are slightly different and i was caught a bit off guard with the spawning. cheers

Hmmm never seen orange panda eggs...

Normally they're white/creamy coloured,quite large compared to some cory eggs and gradually darken in colour to near black on the fifth day :)

ive just managed to save one. had to think outside the box so i found something i could use to keep it in do you think this will be ok. Btw now ive managed to actualy get one and look at it, it is more of a creamy colour.

thank you all for the advice here is a couple of pics.

egg.jpg

egg1.jpg

as soon as it hatched out it will be outa there pretty quick, an old ice cream tub will do the job just fill it up and transfer the egg over, in the meantime order a net online and it should be with you before it hatches. probably the best way :)

as soon as it hatched out it will be outa there pretty quick, an old ice cream tub will do the job just fill it up and transfer the egg over, in the meantime order a net online and it should be with you before it hatches. probably the best way :)

Ps, dont worry about heating the tub, really not necessary with cory fry, room temp should be fine (20-22), as long as its not on a cold window sil, and dont try feeding it when it hatches for a few days, the water will get toxic very very quickly. decapsulated baby brine shrimp eggs are what i use, drop a tiny pinch in the net when you got it. lots will fall through but if its a decent net, with really fine material some will stick to it. gluck.

Keep the egg near the oxygen filter/pump to keep the egg clean as fungus will quickly destroy the egg, if this happens
the egg will turn a cloudy white colour.

Hope you have success.

thanks again guys ive been and bought a net breeder this morning. ive noticed a slight darkening of the egg aswell so things are looking good so far, the reason i could not get a net yesterday is because i had no money and i could not get any from atm, turns out the reason for this is because my bank card as been cloned by someone in the usa so the bank froze the account. thank god.

cheers again guys

This is a picture of some C. panda eggs that I hatched. The ones on the far right are freshly spawned and as they move toward the left, they are older. The far left thermometer still has a few left that haven't hatched and also contains some that have developed fungus.

C. panda eggs will normally take about four days to hatch but this might vary somewhat according to the temperature of the water. It's normal for them to darken as they mature.

Pandaeggsstages.jpg

Most reactions

Back