Panda Garra and African Cichlids

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

these 4 will be going from a 5 ft long 100 gallon to a 4 ft long 55 gallon. I was told they needed 100 gallons, but they are going to have to make do. African cichlids are terrible tank mates

Mine are fine with lots of tank mates in. 4 foot 55 gallon

My 6 were fine in the 40B - but when i moved stocking changed so they ended up in a new tank - this was there old home:

40b_jun_10_2021.jpg

My 6 were fine in the 40B - but when i moved stocking changed so they ended up in a new tank - this was there old home:

View attachment 349666
You’ve been hiding that tank from us. You should enter that awesome tank in the November Tank of the Month contest.

You’ve been hiding that tank from us. You should enter that awesome tank in the November Tank of the Month contest.
tore it down when i moved. 'sides your voters don't care for my tanks ;)

A very personable fish… this is an older picture my school of 5 are nearly twice this size now… they grow fast, mine were only about 1/2 inch long, when they came
IMG_6274.png

But having hand friendly fish is so cool.
My female betta eats from my hand and will swim right into my hand and brush up against me.
My blue shrimps jump on for a ride everytime I put my hand in
I'm mixed - i dont' want the fish to run away and hide but i also don't really want it to jump into my lap...

I'm mixed - i dont' want the fish to run away and hide but i also don't really want it to jump into my lap...
LOL! I'm not mixed at all. ;) I love it when Panda Garras start climbing on my hand. Just like with my cockatiel it is cool to be able to physically interact with a water critter. On the other hand they can get in the way when doing tank maintenance but I consider the interactions well worth it. ;) Pandas are also kind of fun to tease. 😈 Quarter a protein wafer and put the pieces between closed fingers and let them 'fight' trying to get after the meal. Actually this may be a little off topic but many think that Pandas are just algae eaters but that is not true. They also need protein in their diet.

The beasties are also probably the best tank cleaners I've ever met. They will eat basically anything; algae (including black beard), bio film and even left over veggie peels.

If I can ever manage to re-home my cichlids I would be very happy to just have my rope fish along with Pandas and freshwater scuds. Scuds are small shellfish that I THINK are in the shrimp family and also eat anything, basically garbage disposals. Scuds also breed like mad so would be free food for my rope fish. Here is a scud.
scuds.jpg

LOL! I'm not mixed at all. ;) I love it when Panda Garras start climbing on my hand. Just like with my cockatiel it is cool to be able to physically interact with a water critter. On the other hand they can get in the way when doing tank maintenance but I consider the interactions well worth it. ;) Pandas are also kind of fun to tease. 😈 Quarter a protein wafer and put the pieces between closed fingers and let them 'fight' trying to get after the meal. Actually this may be a little off topic but many think that Pandas are just algae eaters but that is not true. They also need protein in their diet.

The beasties are also probably the best tank cleaners I've ever met. They will eat basically anything; algae (including black beard), bio film and even left over veggie peels.

If I can ever manage to re-home my cichlids I would be very happy to just have my rope fish along with Pandas and freshwater scuds. Scuds are small shellfish that I THINK are in the shrimp family and also eat anything, basically garbage disposals. Scuds also breed like mad so would be free food for my rope fish. Here is a scud.
View attachment 349976
Can you keep just one in a community tank or do they need fellow panda garra companions?

Can you keep just one in a community tank or do they need fellow panda garra companions?
The text recommends a group - i've always kept them in a group of 6 - besides when they fight it is epic. I mean 2 of them can get into it for a good 20 or 30 minutes at times.

Most reactions

Back