paints for inside the aquarium

simonbrown403

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Heres a question for all you budding diy's out there.

I'm after making a back ground for new 6*2*2 tank, something along these lines and was wondering about how to go adout painting it, what paints to, how to go about it the dos and donts

Anyone know :D

You want to paint something like that on the inside of your tank?

I have heard about aquarists making aquarium backgrounds from blocks of polystyrene. They start of with a block the entire length of the tank and about 150mm thick. To mould the crevices and formations they use a gas blow-torch to gently melt the polystyrene to the effect they want. The whole thing is the coated in some sort of glue and sand is applied to the block. Finally the whole thing is coated with a couple of coats of Yacht Varnish.
Alternatively you could try this method
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_...background3.php
Hope this was of some help
BigC

BigC said:
I have heard about aquarists making aquarium backgrounds from blocks of polystyrene. They start of with a block the entire length of the tank and about 150mm thick. To mould the crevices and formations they use a gas blow-torch to gently melt the polystyrene to the effect they want. The whole thing is the coated in some sort of glue and sand is applied to the block. Finally the whole thing is coated with a couple of coats of Yacht Varnish.
Alternatively you could try this method
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_...background3.php
Hope this was of some help
BigC
Thanks big C. i've seen this one before, the problem is the products names, and sutability for aquarium use.

I'de like to know where he gets his materails from? (Quikrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Instant Plug Cement )

Yeah got ya!
Probably Americian terminology for something simple. Maybe some of our friends from across the pond could help out on this..

For all that I know about concrete repair products, you'd be better off looking HERE to check the stuff out. I hope this helps, I'm sure someone else will be along with a better answer :)

Hey I made a back ground out of polystyrene and I've known people to make them using the expandable foam as well.

When sealing mine I used a product called pond flex. not sure on availability but if you go to a shop that knows their stuff about outdoor ponds then they should be able to give you a product that seals concrete ponds when they crack.

This paint should do the job. just make sure you get into all the cracks and don't miss any bits.

hope that helps

thanks all, i,ve only just looked back over past messages.

thanks for the link mellowserra most helpfull.

jamestothemax can you get the paint in matt or is it gloss, the only pond sealers are that i,ve seen are gloss finish?

Qwikcrete is just a standard form of concrete mix we use here in the US. People have used Portland cement without much issue as well. There are cemetn dyes which you can use to help get the natural colors you want from rock and stone. This should all be available from your local hardware store.

The polystyrene foam background idea is used extensively on another forum I frequent. Not to promote another forum but the information you seek is definitely here. there are 3 articles on DIY backgrounds listed in the articles section plus dozens of projects listed in the DIY forum.

Hope this helps

cichlid-forum.com

Rivermud76 said:
Qwikcrete is just a standard form of concrete mix we use here in the US. People have used Portland cement without much issue as well. There are cemetn dyes which you can use to help get the natural colors you want from rock and stone. This should all be available from your local hardware store.

The polystyrene foam background idea is used extensively on another forum I frequent. Not to promote another forum but the information you seek is definitely here. there are 3 articles on DIY backgrounds listed in the articles section plus dozens of projects listed in the DIY forum.

Hope this helps

cichlid-forum.com
Would't using cement raise the PH, or do u use a of some sorts sealer.

I want to make this for a discus tanks :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back