Painting The Tank.

Tom4Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i am in thinking of painting the back of my fishtank,

you paint the back dont you (not inside).?

I Have Bettas In The Tank

What Collour Shal i Use and shall i test it on an old tank first?

you paint the outside, most people use either blue or black i prefer black :)
Only paint the inside if you have safe marine paint

wouldnt it be cheaper to getiether a big piece of a3 paper or a2?? or even some of those backings you can get for teh tank with all of the pictures and stuff on them?? that way if you change ur mind you dont have to worry about scraping any paint off....
just a thaught.
community

I would go with putting some black backing rather than painting. If you change your mind in the future and want a different background you may be stuffed!!! My friend got a tank with black paint on the back of it. Bloody nightmare, couldn't get it off. In the end he had to put the backing on the inside with some special stickers, but then he got a bit of algae and the background was ruined. Looked terrible with the algae on, had to buy another.

Here is anther idea. This is what I will be doing with my tanks. Go to your local hardware store and pick up some aluminum sheets. They can precut them for you. Grab some blue and black metal spray paint. Spray one side blue and one side black. Looks much better then paper. It will look like you painted the back of the tank...but you didn't! I have experamented a bit with this already. It looks great.

My advice: Don't paint! If you want to sell the tank, not as many people will go for it. If you get a new color fish, well, think about what happens if it doesn't match the fish.

If you use oil based paint then paint thinners will remove it when it's time for a change.

Can oil-based paints be used on glass??

I usually paint the back and none/one/both sides, (depending on location), with a couple of coats of blackboard paint.

Hi:
I have not tried this technique, only read about it. Get a fairly heavy mylar sheet (say #4) and trim to fit the glass surface on the rear of the tank. Coat the glass surface with a film of oil such as canola. Apply the mylar and work the bubbles out to the sides, top and bottom the same as you would to get the bubbles out from under wall paper. The oil holds the mylar in place until you wish to remove. Then just peal off and clean thoroughly. As I said I have not tried this as yet but I will the next time I set up a new tank. If you are doing a large tank, it may well be easier to do if you stand the tank on one end.
Vic

I was thinkin of painting my tank, in the end i just got some tank background paper in black. Had to get double the length as my tank is too high. Still cant see the joint in the middle, and has come out looking pretty good....

29072007020.jpg

Most reactions

Back