Painting My Tank And Stand...and Canopy How To?

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi! This last weekend I picked up this tank. It's a 56 gal tall, and needs a good cleaning. The stand seems nice and sturdy, but gosh is it ugly! The wood grain in the front is just...not good. I purchased some semi-gloss furniture paint to paint the stand. Do you think it'll look better black? Also, can I use this on the wood around the tank? I think I'll have to sand it a bit first as it has a glaze on it, whereas the stand does not.

fish182.jpg

I really want to put a canopy on it with a built in lighting system. Can anyone point me in the direction to buy one that's not too high, or show me a thread with step by step directions for how to build one?

Well, I spent the weekend painting, and here's the final result. I think it looks like a completely new tank and stand!

fish194.jpg

It sure does look brand new! Did you end up sanding the trim? I have a old stand that i want to repaint black so I'm curious if the semi-gloss would work without sanding and primer?
Thanks

The new paint looks awesome :good: One suggestion would be to put the thermometer on the side of the tank, so you don’t have to look at it all the time.

Looking good though I would get some clear laquer and spray that over so if you scratched it you wont bring the original surface through speshly if your going to maintaining that tank all he time the top edge will get some wear and tear!

Most reactions

Back