Painted Glass Fish, Berry Tetras

Black_Tetra

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Today I went to my lfs in valparaiso indiana and got two clown loaches and two cory catfish. I was looking through the store and noticed they were selling Painted Glass Fish, and Berry Tetras :-( . They must of just got them because they didn't have them last time I was there which was the saturday before. I used to think of Valparaiso Pet & Hobby as a decent fish store but now I don't know what to think.

painted2.jpg

painted glass fish above. :-(

What are everyone else's comments on this. Should I switch lfs's?

Don

Black_Tetra said:
Today I went to my lfs in valparaiso indiana and got two clown loaches and two cory catfish. I was looking through the store and noticed they were selling Painted Glass Fish, and Berry Tetras :-( . They must of just got them because they didn't have them last time I was there which was the saturday before. I used to think of them as a decent fish store but now I don't know to think.

painted2.jpg

painted glass fish above. :-(

What are everyone else's comments on this. Should I switch lfs's?

Don
Maybe just send them a letter or something telling them that you have considered changing stores because of the fact that they sell them. Maybe they didn't think that people in your community don't care about their well-being and you could set them straight? They may have also gotten them without ordering them (accidents and mistakes on the shipping end) and figured they better sell them since sending them back almost ensures their death (in transit too long without heaters or new water). If they continue to sell them I would think about leaving though.

When I found out how they got their colors I almost threw up since I had bought three of them when I set my first tank up 8 years ago! Who in the world could be that dimented to think of doing that to a fish anyway??? I think they are just as pretty in their natural state, don't you?

walmart and petsmart stoped selling them my friend has them i said they LITERALLY paint them and he didnt care i will only buy a dyed fish to rescue it not because i think theyre cool

transparent fish and invertibrates are the BEST!!!

so many other fish are colorful, but only a few freshwater species are transparent.

whoever does that to fish sucks at life :grr:

i will only buy a dyed fish to rescue it not because i think theyre cool

If you do that though, you are fueling the supply & demand effect. The more people buy, the more they will carry.

Maybe just send them a letter or something telling them that you have considered changing stores because of the fact that they sell them. Maybe they didn't think that people in your community don't care about their well-being and you could set them straight? They may have also gotten them without ordering them (accidents and mistakes on the shipping end) and figured they better sell them since sending them back almost ensures their death (in transit too long without heaters or new water). If they continue to sell them I would think about leaving though.

I think I will send them a letter with my view on the subject. If they send me a letter back saying they didn't mean to get them or they didn't know they were dyed or if they quit carrying them in the next few weeks then I will keep going to the store. It is very convinently located so when my little brother has basketball games every saturday I can spend an hour at the fish store. Luckily I have other fish stores in the area where I can go to if they totally ignore my letter.

Don

Black_Tetra said:

If you do that though, you are fueling the supply & demand effect. The more people buy, the more they will carry.
oh i didnt think of that -_- im tiered

Black_Tetra said:

I think I will send them a letter with my view on the subject. If they send me a letter back saying they didn't mean to get them or they didn't know they were dyed or if they quit carrying them in the next few weeks then I will keep going to the store. It is very convinently located so when my little brother has basketball games every saturday I can spend an hour at the fish store. Luckily I have other fish stores in the area where I can go to if they totally ignore my letter.

Don
:D :D That sounds like a great idea. :D :D

Find out the mailing address of the place that does this and post it here in a new topic, see how many letter of complaints they get.

that sucks, how is valpo? went to my first year of college there 2 yrs ago

id write them a letter explaining why it is wrong to do and also try to get in contact with the owner.

good luck
I guess it is doing good..... It still has old buildings and the campus is still the same :)

Find out the mailing address of the place that does this and post it here in a new topic, see how many letter of complaints they get.

I made a new topic here NEW TOPIC
I have their address and phone in the topic

So the painted tetras are injected into each fish, they weren't genetically altered to reproduce to look like that? Sorry I have just started reading up on some of them and wanted to be clear on it.. -_-

that's right, nicki.

they inject the fish with dye, which is incredibly painful for the fish and many die during the process. the colour wears off after a while too!! it's sick :sick:

Most reactions

Back