Paint?

Toney

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
What paint is safe for the inside of my canopy? 20160903_161033.jpg

I just used regular paint on mine.  Nothing is touching the tank water.  Very nice canopy btw

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, why does the inside need painting? Surely you cant see it? Although the wood would definitely want sealing i guess.

Id say if it isnt directly touching the water then id have thought you shouldnt need to worry too much about what type of paint :) although some water soluble paints may not be a great idea because of the condensation.

It looks really nice and professional btw :) much nicer than my black plastic top.

I can see a case for painting the inside of a hood. A white gloss paint will reflect a lot more light than a bare wood surface, although the hood pictured is quite light coloured anyway so the benefit is questionable as long as it is sealed against water "attacks"..

I am also working on a DIY hood for my small tank.
I will be using Kilz which is advertised as primer and a sealer.
I'll use this for the under side of the hood and a satin black for the outside.
If you want to preserve the natural beauty of the wood, you may want to go with a marine type of sealer or spar varnish.
What ever you use, give it a few days after application to cure and gas off.
Really nice job on your hood.
March...

The primary reason to paint is to prevent the wood from rotting.  Some woods will not last in a humid environment. I would probably apply a high gloss white latex and then over that apply a clear polyurethane sealer over that.  

Most reactions

Back