Overtank Luminaire And Filter Question

dave_m13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All

Not sure whether this should be here or in Hardware

Just a quick question regarding overtank luminaires, what do people use to stop any fish jumping out of their tanks? Also if there is something will it affect the lighting going through to the tank? I have at the moment on the 400 litre 4x38W T8 lights, so would 4x54W T5 lights make much difference, I have pressurised CO2 already.

I would also like to upgrade to another bigger filter on my 400 litre, I have the 3 at the moment, top filter, tetratec EX1200 and Ehiem 24 (something) not all that powerful, so would be looking to upgrade this. I like the tetratec ex1200 so would probably go for another of theses.

What would be the best way to upgrade this considering the filters are quite different in size.

Thanks
Dave

Cant go wrong with another tetratec...

You can get cover glass/acrylic that fits on the top of your tank. It shouldnt affect the lighting

You can get cover glass/acrylic that fits on the top of your tank. It shouldnt affect the lighting

Thanks for your answers

But what would be the best to upgrade from the ehiem as it is considerably smaller, will be removing the smaller ehiem and replacing with new EX1200. If I just changed it would effect the Bio load (What ever its called, brain gone blank) on the tank.

Maybe lighting question better in Plants forum.

Thanks

Thanks for your answers

But what would be the best to upgrade from the ehiem as it is considerably smaller, will be removing the smaller ehiem and replacing with new EX1200. If I just changed it would effect the Bio load (What ever its called, brain gone blank) on the tank.

Thanks

Erm have you got anothe filter on your tank?, If you add another one you may have a mini cycle which you would have to keep your eye on...

Thanks for your answers

Thanks

Erm have you got anothe filter on your tank?, If you add another one you may have a mini cycle which you would have to keep your eye on...

At the moment I actually have 3, top filtration via powerhead (came with tank), Ex1200 and the smaller ehiem. Ideally would like to change the ehiem to another tetratec ex1200.

Shouldn't be a problem; bacteria reproduce very quickly. What fish do you have?. Some are more known to jump than others. I have an Arcadia Luminaire and have never used a cover, but I only keep Cardinals, Harlequin Rasbora, Rosy Tetras and Corys. If you're wary, you could try adding some floating plants.

Shouldn't be a problem; bacteria reproduce very quickly. What fish do you have?. Some are more known to jump than others. I have an Arcadia Lumunaire and have never used a cover, but I only keep Cardinals, Harlequin Rasbora, Rosy Tetras and Corys. If you're wary, you could try adding some floating plants.

Thanks, probably the only ones that may do it could be the Denison barbs, very quick and pretty sure they would jump, usually swim around mid of tank apart from when feeding. Just trying to decide whether its worth upgrading T8 4x38W to T5 4x54W, would it be worth it?

Most reactions

Back