Overstocked?

Lexie3787

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In my 10 gallon I have 3 corydoras, 3 platies- 1 male and 2 females, and 1 male betta.

In my 29 gallon I have 2 albino cichlids which are soon to go to a bigger tank, 3 mollies- 1 male and 2 females, 1 pleco, 6 tetras, 1 male betta, and 1 African butterfly fish which my dad surprised me with. The tank has been together for a very long time, no fighting at all. Im one of those that tends to experiment to see what fish can go together, and so far it always works out. First sign of aggression and I change the tanks. Now Im just wondering if I'm overstocked. I also have 2 2.5 gallon tanks with male bettas.

Well if we go by the inch of fish for every gallon rule then:

10G: 3 X CORYDORAS (3 x 2in = 6inches)
3 X PLATIES (3 x 2in = 4inches)
1 X MALE BETTA (1 x 3in = 3inches)
Total of 13inches so yes you are slightly overstocked. From my breakdown you can see where and then decide what to do if you decide to do anything.

29G: 3 X MOLLIES (3 x 3in = 9inches)
1 X AFRICAN BUTTERFLYFISH (1 x 4in = 4inches)
1 X PLECO (if common plec 12inches+) or (if bristlenose plec 6inches)
6 X TETRAS (tetras range from 1inch to 3.5inches so = 6in/21in)
2 X ALBINO CICHLIDS (irrelevent as you say they are definately going)
Main points of concern in this tank is the unknown tetras and pleco. At a minimum that tank has at adult size 28inches of fish excluding the cichlids. That would be ok but the maximum is 49inches which is massively overstocked. If it is a common plec that you have i would advise you remove it as it will get far too big for a 29G tank. Obviously identification of the tetra would help but you should be able to work that bit out or you can post a pic. Either that break down should be able to help you decide what to do to your tank.

Hope that helps,
Dman

Im pretty positive they are called fruit tetras, and the pleco will be going with the cichlids

DMan99 said:
10G: 3 X CORYDORAS (3 x 2in = 6inches)
3 X PLATIES (3 x 2in = 4inches)
Total of 13inches so yes you are slightly overstocked. From my breakdown you can see where and then decide what to do if you decide to do anything.
But, since the three corys always sit on the bottom, and no other fish bother them, I'd say your perfectly alright with that one. ;)

I'd say the 10 gallon should be fine, as it's pretty evenly spread out as well as levels, and none of them are really big waster producers. However, I just wanted to add...watch your Betta and Platies. Sometimes this combination won't work, because of the Platies' nippyness, or the Betta seeing the bright colors as a threat. It could work out fine, but just a little warning. :) Sometimes combinations with Bettas can turn deadly overnight (literally), so even the slightest sign of aggression can be a sign of something more to come.

Everything seems to already be said about the 29, too. :thumbs:

Edit: Oh yeah...and on the Platy size, Males rarely get over 1.5, while females tend to be a bit bigger. So it might not be 4", depending on which sexes you have. :) Unless you have Variatus Platies (Which I doubt), because in that case you'd be overstocked once they are full grown.

yes, ur 10 gallon is slightly over stocked, but not by much. and i don't even neeed to calculate to tell ur 29 gallon is way over stocked. but if u can keep it clean, it should be fine.

Ya I do weekly water changes,and i have a powerful filter.
Thanks for everyone's help

Most reactions

Back