Overstocked?

leanne2389

Reaction score
Hi I am a long way off adding any additional fish to my tank and thanks to some bad advice I received from my LFS I am now needing to do a fish in cycle however in the mean time I would like to do some research into what I can get when I am finally ready so when it comes to getting the fish I am fully prepared as I at least want to make sure I get this bit right :blush:
I currently have approx 300l tank:
4 zebra danios
2 sailfin mollys
1 baloon molly
12 neon tetra
1 apple snail
and a plec not sure what type but all I know is its not a common kind and is leopard skinned light brown in colour.

I would like to get when ready (if possible):
6 orange glo-light tetra
6 black tetra
2 sunset gourami
1 opaline gourami
6 gold barbs
and maybe a few more snails or bottom dwellers
If I had all these would I be overstacked?

also id really appreciate if anyone has anything better to suggest.

Well you should be fine as the fish are concerned but proffesionally I would be considered over populated.
use the aquarium advisor on Google

we will need to know what plec you have as some get very large 2ft+ google Sailfin see if thats the one

personally i would just add 1 shoal and make it bigger, fewer larger groups have a bigger impact

I think that's fine, although I think there are too many different types of schooling fish. I'd take away one of your projected new tetra or barb schools, or even 2 and up the numbers of the others. I think they look much nicer in large groups.

For bottom dwellers, how about a pair of Bolivian rams? Nice fish and easy to look after

I cant find my pleco online however he currently looks like this:

Attachments

• pleco.jpg
    pleco.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 36

Looks like a common pleco to me? They grow huge if it is

He look like this? http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Pleco.htm

Well hes much lighter in colour and when I bought it it definitely wasnt called a common pleco but I think it was a gibbiceps after doing a bit more research

Well hes much lighter in colour and when I bought it it definitely wasnt called a common pleco but I think it was a gibbiceps after doing a bit more research

Ahh, well they grow just as huge. What size is your tank? 4ft? 5ft?

be careful with the gouramis. they are not the easiest fishes to have. I had two males and one continually dominated the other. All of the other fish were harassing them. even the neons. i took the weak gourami back to the store and left the strong one. Then the strong one died three days later. Pretty fish though.

4ft I specifically said I only wanted small fish due to my tank size has this been wrongly sold to me?

be careful with the gouramis. they are not the easiest fishes to have. I had two males and one continually dominated the other. All of the other fish were harassing them. even the neons. i took the weak gourami back to the store and left the strong one. Then the strong one died three days later. Pretty fish though.

Noted may consider not getting these now any suggestion of anything else?

4ft I specifically said I only wanted small fish due to my tank size has this been wrongly sold to me?

It grows to over 18" I think. I would call anything over 8" big for a 4ft tank.

Honey Gouramis are supposedly more peaceful, although my male totally isn't. Think he's more an exception though. Get a pair of Honeys or 1m 2f, should be fine

Your pleco will be ok in there for a few years, but they sh1t a lot and like to dig up your plants, which is why i've got rid of mine, little sh1ts. :D

Your pleco will be ok in there for a few years, but they sh1t a lot and like to dig up your plants, which is why i've got rid of mine, little sh1ts. :D

Yeah, i've got a common pleco in a 4ft (maybe just a little over) and he's been in there for a good 2year
and is only now just hitting around 5 inch if that.

Most reactions

Back