Overstocked? Or Room For More?

WillyRBeek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 25 gallon tank, fully cycled and by this time, what I would think is considered "Mature", as it's been up and running 6 months.

Currently I have:

1 angel fish(Still quite small)
3 platys
3 neon tetras
2 red eye tetras
1 rocket red dandio
1 bristlenose pleco
11 corydora catfish

Thoughts?

I'd say overstocked and no room for more...a good excuse for another tank??? :rolleyes:

I'd say overstocked and no room for more...a good excuse for another tank??? :rolleyes:

Well I have 2 already, hence the abudence of corydora catfish, lol. My other tank sprung a leak a little over a week ago and I had to temporarily re-home the fish into this tank. I've got all the gourami's from the leaking tank moved back over to the new tank now, but I figured i'd keep the Cory's that were in that tank in this one for a little while longer, as they're all quite small, and I noticed that they did not get much food in the tank with the gouramis, as the gouramis snatched up most, if not all of the food before it got the bottom.

Well I have 2 already, hence the abudence of corydora catfish, lol. My other tank sprung a leak a little over a week ago and I had to temporarily re-home the fish into this tank. I've got all the gourami's from the leaking tank moved back over to the new tank now, but I figured i'd keep the Cory's that were in that tank in this one for a little while longer, as they're all quite small, and I noticed that they did not get much food in the tank with the gouramis, as the gouramis snatched up most, if not all of the food before it got the bottom.

Get some sinking wafers, the corys love em and sink fairly quickly.

Get some sinking wafers, the corys love em and sink fairly quickly.

Already got some, but the as soon as the gouramis gobble up their floating flake food, they go in search of the sinking pellets, and usually end up devouring those as well.

Also I should mention, I do 25% water changes every 5 or 6 days.

It sounds like that water change is needed with your stocking level Willy. As soon as your other tank gets ready for more fish I would move some of the tetras, your choice of which, to get the stocking more reasonable.

It sounds like that water change is needed with your stocking level Willy. As soon as your other tank gets ready for more fish I would move some of the tetras, your choice of which, to get the stocking more reasonable.

Well, actually the water changes are done simply because I figure it could be nothing but beneficial, I don't actually need to do that. I've let it go for nearly 3 weeks once without changing the water, and never had a problem with my ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, and I haven't had any deaths in this tank for some time now(Although the corys from the other tank had been slowly dying off). I've got quite a bit of biomedia packed into my filter, so that probably helps

The other tank is ready though, i'm just keeping the corys over in this one for a little while to bulk them up a little more, as the smaller fish in the community tank are not nearly as aggressive going after the sinking pellets as the gouramis are in the other tank.

Most reactions

Back