Over-run with snails

Happy Fish

Reaction score
Our tank, a 28 gallon community tank, had at one time a single (only one, I swear) rams-horn shaped snail. The tank now has in excess of 2,000 in 6 months (ballpark). Is there any kind of critter that would get the population more under control, but wouldn't aggravate the community tank fish? Anyone interested in 10 free snails?

The tank currently is home to a beta, a couple swordtails, some harlequins, neons, phanton tetras, coulie loaches, and an aqua frog.

Thanks much.

PS - local guy says a clown loach, or a pair of them, will take care of the snail outbreak. Anyone know if this is true?

Actual number of snails exaggerated, but not by much.

Clown Loach love snails. however you need 3 minimum as they can get lonely otherwise. :(
However, clown loach grow to about 8 inches long and in time they will be too big for your tank. It does take them a long time to get to that size though. I have 4 in my 43 gallon tank.
When you buy your clown loach, look at the girth of their bodies. The more sturdy ones are the one's you want.
Also there are certain chemicals on the market that will help control the snails.

Another alternative is to take the snails out of the tank, take them outside and stamp on them. :crazy: That usually stops them breeding. :p

Yes,stamping on most creatures will stop them from breeding :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny how the simple approch seems to be the last one considered?

I DONT WANT TO GO STOMPING MY SNAILS YEEECCH!
YOUS GUYS ARE SOOO CRUEl!

ok ok calm...ooomm..oomm...omyeech......ooh u guys

so if I get someone to stomp my snails can I save some of the little snail parts to feed my aqua frog
who I swer cant find his ass from a .....never seems to find his food???
and any suggestions for feeding him?

Try small earthworms and frozen bloodworm for the frog. If that dosn't work he'll most likely end up eating your Neons. Not great tankmates, Frogs and Neons!
Get rid of your frog (back to lfs, they shouldn't have sold it to you if they knew you had Neons and the like) and get a trio of Clowns (as suggested) instead. :)

Coolie loaches will eat those snails, and they only get about 4 inches tops. They are also very unusual looking fish and most people who see mine call them eels. They are such good snail hunters that I never even know i have a snail in my tank until i see one of them munchin on one.

Most reactions

Back