Over My Head

shadowhywind

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have been doing the yeast-based co2 for a while now, and I do have to admit it has helped my plants out ALOT! However I think it is time to upgrade to something a bit more 'steady/stronger', I have a drop checker in the tank, which I have never really seen ever green, always blue or tealish color, so i thought about upgrading to a canister co2 system. The tank is also a 27 gallon tank, so I don't need anything super large. After doing some research, and not wanting to have a large co2 tank, i found that you can use a 20oz paintball co2 tank (which would work in my tight space). However my brain is spinning around all the different equipment needed, the do's, the dont's. I was wondering has anyone set up a co2 system with a paintball tank? If at all possible part names/numbers used would be greatly appreciated. Any helpful tips/links would be great!

Thanks

The only system I know of is the Red Sea CO2 pro system. There is a paintball version of it. Below is a pic of the one I have had for about 2 years now. If space is limited then its a good system. It is a pretty cheap system though IMO. I've replaced alot of the parts with better things. What is still original on my setup is the regulator, solenoid, needle valve, and tubing. I didn't like the power diffuser so it was replaced by a nice slim ceramic diffuser which you can get here. You want 3 as you will eventually break at least one of them or it will clogg up. This bubble counter, I broke the red sea one out of the box. If you figure out how to open it, then it should work. I added a extra check valve between the needle valve and the bubble counter.

The canister will cost $20 and can be gotten at most local sporting stores. A fill costs $4 where I am and lasts 1-2 months on a 20gal tank.

Edit: I see it comes with a drop checker too..... :unsure:.... I remember having that a one point, but don't remember what happened to it. I use one of the pretty glass ones off ebay now.

IMG_6649.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! With the read sea pro system, can that be "upgraded" to a regular sized tank at some point down the road? My thought is once I get more room, or if I upgrade tanks I might want to go to a larger co2 tank and would hate to have to rebuy everything..

No you can't. Thats the issue with paintball regulators. You are stuck with the paintball fitting. If you think you may want to use a larger canister down the road I suggest buying a normal canister regulator and a 2.5lb tank. The size IMO is not too large. The price is pretty much the same, but a 2.5lb canister will cost around $50 brand new. I have a Rex Griggs regulator from bestaquariumregulator.com. You can find them cheaper than this and red sea sells a canister pro kit for the same price as a paintball kit. If you do go for a full sized setup don't go with the red sea. Mine has worked great so far but its really poor quality IMO. Its got a lot of plastic and when putting on the canister you really need to get them on tight I really hate putting so much pressure on the plastic regulator housing of the red sea regulator. You can get a all brass one for only a little more an then you can use a wrench. I'm pretty confident of my brass one still being around 10 years from now.

Also the brass full sized ones are easier to modify. Once I move out and get all 3 of my tanks in the same room I will be only using my bigger brass setup, the red sea one I will put in storage. I got a 3-way splitter for the brass regulator so it can feed 3 tanks at one. Each tank still needs its own needle valve, bubblecounter, diffuser, and dropchecker. But all can run off the same regulator and canister.

I'm planning to do this soon and have compiled some links.

CO2 cylinder $55
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-CO2-Air-Tank/dp/B000EXWIVM

Regulator $48
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Double-Gauge-CO2-Regulator/dp/B000BO3CFU/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Necessary

diffuser
needle valve

Optional

check valve
solenoid
bubble counter

Check out this article.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Podio_Advanced_CO2_System.html

I'm planning to do this soon and have compiled some links.

CO2 cylinder $55
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-CO2-Air-Tank/dp/B000EXWIVM

Regulator $48
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Double-Gauge-CO2-Regulator/dp/B000BO3CFU/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Necessary

diffuser
needle valve

Optional

check valve
solenoid
bubble counter

Check out this article.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Podio_Advanced_CO2_System.html
Yeap, just make sure what ever you get has the right sized hose barbs. I would expect the one in your link to have these but it doesn't quiet say.

Check valve IMO is necessary. When your tank runs empty water will go up the tubing. This happens on all my setups. It goes will even work its way above the water and do down and completely fill the bubble counter. If you don't use a check valve your needle valve then regulator will come in contact with water. That is not good at all. Considering the cost of a check valve its is silly not to use one. I use one check valve between the bubble counter and needle valve. I know some use two both before and after the bubble counter.

Also necessary is a drop checker, especially if you want to run w/ no bubble counter.

Mikaila, did you ever happen to take a look at the expensive setup that aquariumplants.com offers (something like $300 with electronic stuff?) Since you are in USA and have gone with the good rex griggs equipment I just thought perhaps you looked at it at some point. I've just not been able to judge whether it might be better/same/worse than other good equipment.

Thanks, WD

Yeah they do offer some expensive setups. I didn't think too much of them, since IMO they are over the top. I can understand using a pH controller, but can't really understand why anything higher tech is needed than that. I like using a solenoid with a basic setup and this has worked great for me.

From research rex griggs was recommended and I liked being able to pick what I wanted. I use the controlled regulator with a few upgrades. Assembling a system together using a beverage regulator certainly works and is cheap, but you do need to pay attention to threads if you want to run things attached. For example attaching a solenoid or bubble counter directly to the beverage regulator, you need to make sure the threads match. For someone just entering the pressurized world, it can get confusing fast.

For a cheap but decent setup I would go with a milwaukee regulator for the OP. These are pretty standard regulators. The big issue I have with my red sea is that it is a completely custom regulator. Meaning if something goes wrong like a guage is damaged. I don't think I can fix it. The gauges are one with the regulator. If that happens with a more standard regulator like a milwaukee or rex griggs its easy enough to buy a new gauge and replace it. Any welding supply shop should be able to help with that.

Thanks Mikaila, very helpful, I'm really still at that stage where I periodically seem to learn the individual parts but then forget the details since I haven't really learned by doing yet. I think I remember one of the planted tank guys giving me a good argument for why a pH controller was not really so desirable or needed but I can't remember now, sigh.

Anyway, many apologies to the OP for going off on a significantly different topic right when the details of a paintball system were getting cleared up!

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back