Out of necessity a mortar & pestle joins the aquarium tools...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
My breeding pair of Tilapia, were sneaky, I didn't witness the mouth brooding process, but I have fry in the tank... I had the Algae wafers the supplier I uses to feed fry... but because I didn't need them yet, either MRS moved them, & doesn't remember where she put them, or they got thrown out, with the empty boxes ( my fault for leaving them on the dining room table for too long )... anyway I've been taking my Ultra Fresh Tetra grind pellets, & "dusting them" in a mortar & pestle... & it seems to be working... I've been doing about a half a teaspoon every 3-4 days, & they have either been living on bio film, the food dust, or a combination... it's been a little over a week ago, & I'm still seeing them in the tank...
Not good pics but…
IMG_4573.jpeg
IMG_4575.jpeg
IMG_4574.jpeg

Last edited:
My breeding pair of Tilapia, were sneaky, I didn't witness the mouth brooding process, but I have fry in the tank... I had the Algae wafers the supplier I uses to feed fry... but because I didn't need them yet, either MRS moved them, & doesn't remember where she put them, or they got thrown out, with the empty boxes ( my fault for leaving them on the dining room table for too long )... anyway I've been taking my Ultra Fresh Tetra grind pellets, & "dusting them" in a mortar & pestle... & it seems to be working... I've been doing about a half a teaspoon every 3-4 days, & they have either been living on bio film, the food dust, or a combination... it's been a little over a week ago, & I'm still seeing them in the tank...
Not good pics but…View attachment 332164View attachment 332165View attachment 332166

I was planning on doing the same for my young bettas but found easy alternative. It is an adjustable pepper grinder. Since bettas are carnivorous, I load some freeze dried tubifex, etc. Also good for flake foods.

Attachments

• Fish Food Grinder.jpg
    Fish Food Grinder.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I’ve used food processors and mortar and pestles. Food processors are more even imo, but you run the risk of having the dust way too small and you need lots of food to make it even.

I finally got the time to move the male out of that tank… he was working over the female trying to get her to lay more eggs… so she needs time to recover… I had to move him to a tank that has another male it it… we’ll see if we have a battle royal, or if they can tolerate each other, since there is no female in that tank???
Because the breeding tank is full of caves, it’s hard to get a solid count… but I saw between 8-10 fry in the tank, without trying this morning… they are nearly the size I got them from the dealer last spring… so it’s going pretty good… I’ll give the female a month to recover, and add a male back in, after I can catch most / all the babies, and transfer them to a holding tank… I may add the other male this time, he’s a little smaller, but maybe not so hard on the female… or at least if I add the proven bigger male back, I’ll make sure I pull him out sooner the 2nd time…

that's genius!
i need to try this!

I found other benefits like throwing in pellets that are too large for smaller fish and grinding them down. In addition, the grinder tends to break food up, making it sink faster and avoid expanding in fishes stomachs.

I still feed thawed frozen or live foods as a special treat.

Most reactions

Back