Our Newbie Fish Tank! What Do You Think?

littlebensfish

Reaction score
As promised in our 'newbie' posting, here's some pics of our new set up (hopefully!) lol

Let me know what you think, all feedback would be appreciated, good or bad! :blush:

Me and the children are new to this so be gentle! lol :S

Attachments

• fishypics_005.jpg
    fishypics_005.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 33
  • fishypics_009.jpg
    fishypics_009.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 31
  • fishypics_001.jpg
    fishypics_001.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 29
  • fishypics_008.jpg
    fishypics_008.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 23
  • fishypics_006.jpg
    fishypics_006.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 29
very nice! :D :D :D
what lives in there??

Thankyou :blush:

Here goes.....don't laugh....i'm still trying to find out names for them! lol

Anyway, i can safely say 6 Neons (nice simple one), 2 white mollies (i think??), 1 male Betta, 1 female Betta, 1 golden snail,
Now for the dodgy bit....lol..... 2 small orange fish with black markings(?), 2 small long silver fish with black stripe and black markings on their tails (look like pics i've seen of scissor tails), 1 small fish (looks similiar to a neon but bigger, plainer and more rounded body?) and 2 tiny things that look like mini suckers (was told they only grow to about an inch, black marbly colour)
Most were recommended by the store as best for a new set up. I trusted them and to be honest at the time didn't study they're names :blush:

Any help in identifying would be helpful. My digital cameras not up to much though! I'll perservere until i can name them all like you lot!!! lol

I would seperate your male Betta from the rest of the fish if you can. Ideally put him in a 2g + tank on his own. A male and female should only be kept together when they are breeding otherwise the male is likely to attack the female, possibly killing her.
Neons are also notorious for nipping the fins of Bettas, ripping them to shreds. And any other brightly coloured fish that are kept with the Betta will be at risk of being attacked. The reason for this is the Betta will mistake the other fish for being another male and will attack it.
Hope this helps. :)

whoops! (nearly repeated posting... sorry!! :blush: )

I would seperate your male Betta from the rest of the fish if you can. Ideally put him in a 2g + tank on his own. A male and female should only be kept together when they are breeding otherwise the male is likely to attack the female, possibly killing her.
Neons are also notorious for nipping the fins of Bettas, ripping them to shreds. And any other brightly coloured fish that are kept with the Betta will be at risk of being attacked. The reason for this is the Betta will mistake the other fish for being another male and will attack it.
Hope this helps. :)

Oh really (damn! lol)
They all seem so happy in there at the moment. :sad: Will that mean setting up a whole separate tank just for him? Will the female be able to be left in the tank ok? I haven't noticed any nipping by the neons yet. With the fish i have in there, is there anything that the male Betta will try to fight with. I don't have anything else brightly coloured in there?
How will i know if the male Betta is just approaching the female to mate or is approaching her to attack?

Thanks for the reply and the advice :wub:

They will probably stay quite happy in there for a while but it would only be a matter of time I'm afraid until something happened and its not worth the risk. I'm not 100% sure about the female, someone else may be able to help you out there.
The male will probably end up chasing the female before he actually attacks her. Don't get me wrong, they might all be ok but it really isn't worth the risk.
I had my first male in a big tank with 3 females, unfortunately I lost mine to disease, but when I posted a thread on here keeping male and female together was a big no-no. I have since done some research and found that people were right.
Unfortunately, fish stores sometimes don't give the best advice as we have learnt. Keep posting and asking on this forum and people are more than happy to give advice.
If you can't keep your male Betta in a seperate tank see if your lfs will take him back. :)

They will probably stay quite happy in there for a while but it would only be a matter of time I'm afraid until something happened and its not worth the risk. I'm not 100% sure about the female, someone else may be able to help you out there.
The male will probably end up chasing the female before he actually attacks her. Don't get me wrong, they might all be ok but it really isn't worth the risk.
I had my first male in a big tank with 3 females, unfortunately I lost mine to disease, but when I posted a thread on here keeping male and female together was a big no-no. I have since done some research and found that people were right.
Unfortunately, fish stores sometimes don't give the best advice as we have learnt. Keep posting and asking on this forum and people are more than happy to give advice.
If you can't keep your male Betta in a seperate tank see if your lfs will take him back. :)

Okeydokey, thanks again for the help.
I have seen him looking out for her and going towards her as she flees! But i just thought maybe he was randy!! lol
How will i know when hes just going to mate with her or after hurting her?? Any ideas? I'll need to know that because even if i seperate them how will i know when its ok to put them together for mating? Thanks again for your help x

Okeydokey, thanks again for the help.
I have seen him looking out for her and going towards her as she flees! But i just thought maybe he was randy!! lol
How will i know when hes just going to mate with her or after hurting her?? Any ideas? I'll need to know that because even if i seperate them how will i know when its ok to put them together for mating? Thanks again for your help x

OMG!!!! I've just been sitting infront of the tank watching after writing that last post. The male Betta approached the female and blew out his gills! Something i never noticed before! It certainly didn't look like love to me!!! Looks like i'm off to the store in a little while for that extra tank!!! :hyper:

When he's got his seperate tank and he's settled he'll build a bubble nest. If you've got a floating plant or something similar he'll most probably build it under there. The male needs to see the female for quite a few weeks up until breeding time. After this period it will be okay to release the female with the male. Keep a really close eye on them though because there's nothing to say that he won't still be aggressive towards her. They will flirt a bit and then he will end up embracing her, wrapping himself around her. She will release her eggs with him fertilising them during the embrace and the he'll set to work. He will collect all the eggs and blow them into the bubble nest. The female apparently lays there in an almost unconcious state but this won't last for long. Once he's collected the eggs, remove the female because he will become aggressive towards her. Mr Betta will now guard the eggs for 2 to 3 days, collecting any eggs that fall and putting them back in the bubble nest. Once the fry start to hatch and swim the male needs to be removed or he will eat them.
Now, be warned, they can produce approximately 500 fry, but not all of them will survive. After 2 or 3 months the male fry have to be seperated otherwise they will fight.
A lot of hard work and a lot of jars needed! This is the reason I decided not to breed! :D

When he's got his seperate tank and he's settled he'll build a bubble nest. If you've got a floating plant or something similar he'll most probably build it under there. The male needs to see the female for quite a few weeks up until breeding time. After this period it will be okay to release the female with the male. Keep a really close eye on them though because there's nothing to say that he won't still be aggressive towards her. They will flirt a bit and then he will end up embracing her, wrapping himself around her. She will release her eggs with him fertilising them during the embrace and the he'll set to work. He will collect all the eggs and blow them into the bubble nest. The female apparently lays there in an almost unconcious state but this won't last for long. Once he's collected the eggs, remove the female because he will become aggressive towards her. Mr Betta will now guard the eggs for 2 to 3 days, collecting any eggs that fall and putting them back in the bubble nest. Once the fry start to hatch and swim the male needs to be removed or he will eat them.
Now, be warned, they can produce approximately 500 fry, but not all of them will survive. After 2 or 3 months the male fry have to be seperated otherwise they will fight.
A lot of hard work and a lot of jars needed! This is the reason I decided not to breed! :D

OMG!!!!! you can say that again!! lol :crazy: ......erm......maybe i'll just put the male Betta in his own little tank and just admire his beauty! lol
Thanks for that, really really helpful xx :*

you now have the perfect excuse for that second tank! :D and at least with a betta you wont need to find space for another 4 ft tank either :D :D

If you can get any decent photos of your unidentified fish then post them on here and someone might be able to identify them for you.

Most reactions

Back