Our Guppies Are Dying?

les_251181

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
a lot of our guppies keep dying of the same problem they either seem to be getting something stucck in there mouths/throughts or there mouths/throughts keep swelling up but either way it stops them breathing help please is this a disease or something if so can it be helped?

When you say it stops them from breathing do they look like they are gasping for air at the top of the tank
This sounds like a water problem what are your water readings and when did your last water change take place

Did you actually read any of our advice about cycling? Nope, thought not. Thats why they are dying, as a few of us have told you already. You need to get your water tested asap then let us know the results so we can hopefully help you sort out your mess before you kill them all. A week of having the tank running isnt sufficient to bung fish in and expect them to live!

Did you actually read any of our advice about cycling? Nope, thought not. Thats why they are dying, as a few of us have told you already. You need to get your water tested asap then let us know the results so we can hopefully help you sort out your mess before you kill them all. A week of having the tank running isnt sufficient to bung fish in and expect them to live!

Sorry BecciMac..., have you read something I haven't? As far as I can tell, your reply is a little out of order with loads of assumptions, how can you tell that they did not cycle the tank? If I were you I would pull your horns in and try to be constructive.

Cycling is very important, but if you have not done so, then there are ways around it. Firstly I would suggest that you complete a 30% water changes every day or so for the next few weeks or until the fish you have stop dying. Secondly I would advise that you drastically reduce the amount of food that you are feeding for the next few days / week as less food means less waste which will reduce the load.

It is possible that the reason your fish are dying is because of a lack of oxygen, especially in this hot weather. If your tank is positioned in direct sunlight then this could be a cause so I would advise that you check the temperature and reduce it by a few degrees, add an airstone if you do not already have one.

Finally, although there are plenty of potential reasons for the deaths, I would advise that you relax (slightly). Many a new fishkeeper has killed their first batch of fish with ignorance or kindness (or both). I know I did and I can certainly vouch for some of the most experienced fishkeepers who have. Your panicking may be the problem.

If you do manage to stop the deaths, wait a few to six weeks before adding any more fish and only add a pair at a time.

Sorry BecciMac..., have you read something I haven't? As far as I can tell, your reply is a little out of order with loads of assumptions, how can you tell that they did not cycle the tank? If I were you I would pull your horns in and try to be constructive.

Cycling is very important, but if you have not done so, then there are ways around it. Firstly I would suggest that you complete a 30% water changes every day or so for the next few weeks or until the fish you have stop dying. Secondly I would advise that you drastically reduce the amount of food that you are feeding for the next few days / week as less food means less waste which will reduce the load.

It is possible that the reason your fish are dying is because of a lack of oxygen, especially in this hot weather. If your tank is positioned in direct sunlight then this could be a cause so I would advise that you check the temperature and reduce it by a few degrees, add an airstone if you do not already have one.

Finally, although there are plenty of potential reasons for the deaths, I would advise that you relax (slightly). Many a new fishkeeper has killed their first batch of fish with ignorance or kindness (or both). I know I did and I can certainly vouch for some of the most experienced fishkeepers who have. Your panicking may be the problem.

If you do manage to stop the deaths, wait a few to six weeks before adding any more fish and only add a pair at a time.

Dunchp, yep I have read what you havent, they have started about 4 threads now and wont answer or take advice from day one. Ive been trying to help since 4th July when they joined (I think-dont quote me on the date!!), and they NEVER answer a straight question!
They have been told about cycling from many respected members, but one day they bought the tank, the next declared it had been running a week and had got lots of fish for it!! Who knows with this poster....

Dunchp, yep I have read what you havent, they have started about 4 threads now and wont answer or take advice from day one. Ive been trying to help since 4th July when they joined (I think-dont quote me on the date!!), and they NEVER answer a straight question!
They have been told about cycling from many respected members, but one day they bought the tank, the next declared it had been running a week and had got lots of fish for it!! Who knows with this poster....
right we did cycling and all the water checks not long after they started to die nothing wrong with the water so please stop having a go this is rob not les i dont like people getting on their high horse and why are you saying they i hardly write on this forum we asked a profesional it turned out they were dying of a livebearers disease

Right, the last of the guppies died. Had taken one of the deceased to a local pro and its a disease forgotten the name, but they had been treated with the correct antibiotic, but it didn't work sadly.

Either way, thanks for assuming that i have no knowledge on fish keeping! i've actually kept fish for years but only recently got back into it since i have more time on my hands. I am fully aware of how to cycle a tank correctly, introduce fish accordingly, feed and care for them and also carry out water testing.

So please, in future don't assume i'm an idiot, because you're sadly mistaken.

BecciMac - for the record, questions are answered as best as we can, in and out of work that is. some of us have limited internet time, so if you feel that the responses given were insufficient what can i say? working 18 hour shifts and trying to maintin touch with the forum can be hard work. but some people assume they know more.

is it columnaris? from what ive heard it sounds pretty serious... and if its a bad case of it there nothing you can do to save any of your fish :-(

according to this website: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

its a bacteria that is often mistaken for a fungus :/

it says to treat with salt and copper sulfate or antibiotics

p.s. ive read a few of your posts, and your platies sound like they died of something that one of my platies died of - he had been stressed out and attacked (to the point of having torn fins) by my other platies and rainbowfish... then the wounds got infected by something ; ; and he died. I don't know what it was but it was probabaly a bacterial or fungal infection. At any rate, adding some salt to your tank would probabaly be beneficial unless you have some scaleless types

heres hoping you don;t lsoe any more fish

yeah that was the disease the guy in the store said for the guppies.

looks like the swordtails had a form of fungus mouth rot. spread very quickly. but since they departed the rest of the gang look fabulous again.

happy and swimmy and pairing off :)

good to hear it didnt spread to all your fish

i'd still add some salt to my tank (i added a bit after that even though i have catfish). Even just a little will help

Careful, I have had a quick look at your fish list and whilst many of the fish (rainbow fish and tetras) prefer soft water, the guppies and swordtails generally prefer hard water. Depending upon what the stats in the tank are, this may be a reason why most of your fish look fantastic but the guppies and swordtails did not do very well (inappropriate conditions can lead to stress which makes the fish susceptible to disease) and this may be a reason why the swords fell so quickly. By adding salt to the tank you could then kill / stress the remaining fish. If the remaining fish look fantastic then I would leave well alone.

Sorry if you took offence to my earlier post. I was trying to be constructive. It is the general lack of grace on this site which makes it a chore rather than a pleasure to contribute and one of the reasons why I don't come on here much any more.

some ppl can be so mean on here (no offense to the nice ppl cuz a lot of u hav helped me out b4). dont just assume. think. BTW im not trying to mean, so again, NO OFFENSE!

Most reactions

Back