Our Fish Tank

lee and nai

Reaction score
Here's our new fish tank, after time after time of looking round aquariums and fish shops :D

PICT0417.jpg

bit bare at the mo as we are letting the water settle (is that right? :blink:)

all in all it cost us about 20 quid to set up 25 pound plus the stand :good:

PICT0416.jpg

we have treated the water with aqua safe dont no how long till we can put fish in?

we are looking around and getting idea's of how we will place things in the tank,

but what do you guys think of it at the minute??? :unsure:

Looks good. You will have to cycle the tank before you put your fish in. There are ways to do a fishless cycle and there are ways to cycle with fish. While you cycle you will need to test the water so make sure you have test kits. P.H., Nitrite, Nitrate, and amonia. :)

If you're keeping live plants as it looks. If you just get some more and then let them grow in for a couple weeks some of the decaying plant matter will cycle the tank for you. Just add the fish slowly (1 or 2 large fish per week OR 3-5 small schooling fish per week).

Looking good! Let the tank start to cycle by adding some sort of bacteria and ammonia. Also, you may want to get some fertilizer for those plants!

:D thank you for all your helpfull tips

we will be getting some more plants it works out cheaper then the fake ones. and surly must be better for the fish

i will read the cycling post abit later on a fue times so i take it in
(is early and my brain aint working :rolleyes: )

we have a shopping list now :D so no what to get thank you all for your help again we wouldn't have thought of any of that is there any thing eles we should add to are list

i have got..

tester kits

air stone (see in the cycling post it helps replace the air when tank tem is turned up)

ammonia

fertilizer

:unsure:

Looks nice :good: wish I jumped in with real plants but no good with any real plants :/ so maybe next year for me. They do look so much better.

We started with real ones because they are cheaper than fake ones lol. We have decided to build up our plant life etc before getting fish, so we are gunna sort out lighting, fertiliser etc and we will see how it goes lol.

you guys are all very helpful and friendly thanks!! :)

looking good! is there a heater in there? the tank looks a little chilly according to your thermometer at the moment hehe!

The heater is in side the filter out of the way, i didnt no it fitted in the filter eather, even nai said at the start the hearer goes in there :blush: the water temp is near 27c is that ok???

we got some more plants to day :) only 3 we are just going to get some small plants now like the grassy looking stuff we have seen looking at othere members tanks on here :good:

we got told by a friend that ebay is a good place to get plants :unsure: has any one eles found this true??

this is how it looks now

PICT0385-1.jpg

shot of the tank

PICT0386-1.jpg

the cave

PICT0387-1.jpg

the castle (thinking of putting a small air stone in or near the castle)
same size as the one in the pic below

air-stone.jpg

bought two of these due to them being cheap, if we dont like them we could put them to one side

any one have any thoughts of were eles we could put them in the tank?

Looking good! I wouldn't use ebay if I where you, I've heard of too many people being riped off by plant scams on that website. Instead I would use Aquabid! There is a very good seller there I think her name is Phu, shes with Aquadise, I haven't used her but have contacted her about some of her plants (Thanks to the Government most live plants aren't aloud here :( ) I've also heard most people don't use air pumps with planted tanks, i've heard most people only turn on there air pumps at night and I think it must be because of the high oxygen levels being bad for the plants, although i'm not quite sure. You may need some words of wisdom from a far more expericnced member. Good luck! :good:

DL

thanks for the kind words dl :D

words of wisdom are good we try and take it all in :unsure: so maybe one small air stone at night

I will sell you some riccia if you would like, people recommend 2-3WPG for it, but I have it at 0.7WPG and have had it like this for months, and it's still a lush green. I'll give you a big handfull of it for £2.50. It gives a great effect when tied to a peice of slate or wood using a hairnet and cotton/fishing line, or it can even be left floating, which looks good but can block some light out. PM me if you are interested, i'll garauntee to give you your moneys worth.

Neal

Most reactions

Back