Our First Tank... ;)

M&A

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have been a fish enthusiast for a few years now, and my first tank was a 45g cichlid setup which I soon learned to love after all the trilas and tribulations of getting it right, which I am sure everyone here has their own roller coaster rides when first venturing into the hobby. ;)

It has been about 5 years since I set up a new tank, and I now have someone else to share the same enthusiasm with, my fiance' Amy. We talked about setting up our own tank, but she wanted to start small, and before we spent a fortune, I agreed. Well, my birthday came on March 1, and Amy bought me a 16g (60L) Bio-Orb setup. At first I was skeptical of its lack of surface area, but after setting it up, not only is it very aesthetic, but practical being a first tank to get someone else (my fiance') interested in the hobby.

We followed all the rules, waited to acclimate the water before adding our "friends" and now, it simply looks beautiful in my opinion. We have the following "very junior" fancy goldfish"

(1) bronze oranda
(1) calico ryukin
(1) black moor
(2) live anacharis plants

Before everyone slams me with "Rules of Engagement" with owning these types, we absolutely plan to transplant them into a much larger tank (at least 15:1 ratio of gal. per fish) when they get bigger. I admit, I did not do my homework, but there we were in the fish store, and Amy was just so excited about taking the next step. So, for now, the fish are doing great and seem to love their new home. I have attached a picture as well.

Well, it's nice to know a forum such as this exists, and the information on here.....WOW!..WOW!..and more WOW!...very helpful....and even the critics are welcomed...;)

0608090959.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you realise they'll need a larger tank :good:

I may be wrong as coldwater dosent intrest me, but 15gal might be pushing it a wee bit, as goldfish are big waste producers.

Welcome to the forum.

I may be wrong as coldwater dosent intrest me, but 15gal might be pushing it a wee bit, as goldfish are big waste producers.

And the birorb filters are useless IMO.

Nice tank though, I dont care what people say but I still think Goldies are fun fish to own :good:

Welcome to the forum.

Nice tank though, I dont care what people say but I still think Goldies are fun fish to own :good:

true, i think you might have to upgrade the filter =]

they do look very nice, the largest version is very attractive IMO

i think its 20gal minimum for a goldfish?

Welcome to the forum.

true, i think you might have to upgrade the filter =]

they do look very nice, the largest version is very attractive IMO

i think its 20gal minimum for a goldfish?

20g for the first goldfish and 10g for every goldie after that. More is probably better though as they are the worlds messiest fish!

Most reactions

Back