Oscars

ApolloJ

Reaction score
I saw a pair of Oscars last time I went to the fish store...I don't know why, but I just felt I had to get one regardless of the price, if I do decide to bring it home, I need to know what's the minimum tank size, in gallons if it's okay...if they are hardy fish and what temperature I need for em', also I kinda heard they just eat meat? but anyway, tell me all you know

55gallon (US) mininum for one better 75gallon (US)

They eat a varied diet veg etc included, but a good staple diet of pellets specifically for Cichlids Hikari Gold is what i used to feed daily. Frozen foods can always be fed

26 celcius is a good temp

just to say, if ur willing to keep an oscar for its lifetime, try to only buy one as they get bery big! (unless u have a tank big enough for 2) i bought 2 but one died due to an eye disease R.I.P. They are brilliant fish with outstabding personalites (not saying there good personalities....
tongue2.gif
).

78F

55 gallon absolute minimum

Need good filtration (I would use double)

Pretty hardy fish and personable

Some are picky, but most will eat pellets, frozen, etc. Will you be getting one while small ?

78F

55 gallon absolute minimum

Need good filtration (I would use double)

Pretty hardy fish and personable

Some are picky, but most will eat pellets, frozen, etc. Will you be getting one while small ?

The ones I saw are already kinda big, I need to save up for the 55 gallon first though, but I just love how they look, they're also pretty intelligent from what I hear.

As mentioned, a 55 gallon would be bare minimum but you couldn't keep any other fish in the tank, just an oscar.

Also as mentioned you need very good filtration, preferably either 2 externals or one big external

Andy

Yes, they are more of a pet....have alot of character. A good external or an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter would work. In a 55 gal., possibly a catfish as a tankmate but that is about it. Before you buy the fish you can ask the store what it is eating and ask them to feed it for you first before buying.

laugh.gif
i know this feeling well!

my oscar has a staple diet of Tetra Doromin cichlid sticks,( twice a day) then once a week i chop up some prawn for him ( freezer section at tescos) then he has peas -when i think i wont be wasting my time trying to get them to eat them ( stubborn bugga he is) so thats probably about once a week too, i would advise against feeding goldfish,and beefheart the goldfish probably have more nasties that goodness, and beefheart is very fatty for them ( ok as a treat in very small portions, but they dont need it) mine will also eat cod fishfingers.. yes i take the breadcrumbs off for him first
rolleyes.gif
and just about anything else edible
laugh.gif
( choc donuts too)

be carefull were feeding is concerned as they do have this lovely habit of making you feel like you`re starving them.. wagging,dancing etc... that look, anyway, all you will achive from over feeding is an oscar that wont live out his 10 yrs as healthy as he should- they need excellent filtration- the bigger the better.
i have my single 12inch oscar in a 300l...and its not ideal, but this is only a recent thing as hes getting old and less active, of course he has plenty of room, but they are strong swimmers and will appreciate lots of roon

the personalities on these fish are wonderful.. they smile and give dirty looks ( not literally .. i havent lost the plot.. yet) but i bought my very first 2 as an impulse buy ( my bad) and have had several since them,i couldnt be without one..i think its a fantastic choice youve made, just make sure you have what you need equipment wise as despite what people think they are not as tough as old boots when it comes to ammonia,cramped conditions,poor diets etc etc.
wish you all the best should you decide to go ahead
smile.gif

shelagh xxxx

oooooh so its 55 gallons for him and 75 gallons for me grrrrr!!

Lmao joking

75 gallons gives them room to move around :D

hey just a quick one while on the question ive got a 55 uk G tank so its like 66 us G would that be ok its 4 foot long. just curious im not planning on getting one now bt down the years maybe cheers

hey just a quick one while on the question ive got a 55 uk G tank so its like 66 us G would that be ok its 4 foot long. just curious im not planning on getting one now bt down the years maybe cheers
Since 55 gallon is the absoulte Minimium Go for it! just remove all stones etc as Oscars have been known to push rocks around...

Most reactions

Back