Oscars

smurfyy_2k3

it's a shame stupidity isn't painfull
Reaction score
is a 20 gal tank big enough for 1 oscar i really like these fish and have wanted one for a wile

No

I have a pair of Tiger oscars in my 74 gallon.
I know that in a few more months they will be too large for my tank.
Either I will have to upgrade or give them to a better home.
From what I have read around, a lot of people recommend 115 gallons minumum for oscars.

For a pair I would go with at least 75 gal. I have seen a oscar in a 55 gal, it looked really cramped and that was just one. For that matter I would go 75 gal for just one to give it more room to turn around.

I would disagree with the above posts.

Some oscars tolerate other oscars as tankmates, a lot don't. They can be grumpy.

I would recommend for an oscar to live its life out in absolute minimum, 75g US. Else it will become stunted. It really needs the width of a 75 to turn round.

I would disagree with the above posts.

Some oscars tolerate other oscars as tankmates, a lot don't. They can be grumpy.

I would recommend for an oscar to live its life out in absolute minimum, 75g US. Else it will become stunted. It really needs the width of a 75 to turn round.

If they grow up together they are normally ok.

i breed oscars and have always found that oscars kept with other oscars are far more tolerant with each other than one thats been in a tank alone. ive also introduced grumpy oscars and found that once they are the dominant fish they soon settle in nicely. of course there will always be the exception to the rule. id agree that ideally you need a 75gal tank for two fish. and 55 gal for one is a bare minimum but far better if they have more water. a great fish to keep and especially if from young kept with others.

my grand father kept his SMALL oscar in a 20 until it had grown about 5 inches and then moved it to a 120 gallon tank.so u can keep 1 in a 20 as long as u have a bigger setup in the very near future

my grand father kept his SMALL oscar in a 20 until it had grown about 5 inches and then moved it to a 120 gallon tank.so u can keep 1 in a 20 as long as u have a bigger setup in the very near future

that is true, but best not to advertise it as you'll always get someone who cant afford to upgrade and second hand oscars are hard to pass on,

Most reactions

Back