Oscar

ohiofishguy

Reaction score
I just got him today! He has plenty of room in my 125. :)

He is about 4 1/2 inches right now. He'll get pretty big I suspect!

100_4580.jpg

100_4578.jpg

Very pretty little guy, and yeah, they do get pretty big :nod: Do you have any other fish in that tank? it's 125 gallons, right? not liters? If it's in liters, they need at least twice that much, the very smallest being 75 gallons, 4 feet long, a little less than 2 feet wide

Also, if you ever feel like making a small investment to a tank change up, most cichlids like sand more than gravel, so they can dig in it and stuff.

tried to delete I replied to the original post

Very pretty little guy, and yeah, they do get pretty big :nod: Do you have any other fish in that tank? it's 125 gallons, right? not liters? If it's in liters, they need at least twice that much, the very smallest being 75 gallons, 4 feet long, a little less than 2 feet wide

Also, if you ever feel like making a small investment to a tank change up, most cichlids like sand more than gravel, so they can dig in it and stuff.

It is 125 gallon sorry to not specify :)

Maybe my next setup I will try sand...I never used it I have always been a gravel kind of guy

tried to delete I replied to the original post

It is 125 gallon sorry to not specify :)

Maybe my next setup I will try sand...I never used it I have always been a gravel kind of guy

Got a red devil in there but he is considerably smaller. I know he's gonna get big too but with a faster growth rate with the red devil I am thinking they will top out at approximately the same size at the same time instead of the oscar getting left behind.

Oscars grow pretty fast too, some of the oscars at the LFS have grown from being like an inch each to about 3 inches each in a matter of a couple months

I have my female oscar exactly 3 days and she is already filling out. Fury is her name, but oddly enough, she is a real sweetie and does not bother other fish in the tank. Welcome to the oscar world!

How do you know its a female?

Unsure on a red devil growing quicker than an oscar? They are certainly usually more aggressive though so may cause a few problems when older and working out who is boss.

Stunning oscar.

Unsure on the growth speed of the red devil. Oscars grow, on average, an inch a month.

when i got my oscar he was only a inch and iv only had mine for a month and hes now pushing around 3 inchs they grow ever so fast

Stunning oscar.

Unsure on the growth speed of the red devil. Oscars grow, on average, an inch a month.

The pics don't do it justice it is striking in the flesh....should be for the $12 I paid for it.

How do you know its a female?

Unsure on a red devil growing quicker than an oscar? They are certainly usually more aggressive though so may cause a few problems when older and working out who is boss.

I have heard from a number of people who own both who claim they grow faster than oscars so I am basing it on that. MY hope is that they can work out any territory issues when that behavior starts. It should be OK the oscar already has shown some spunk :fun:

tank doesnt really look a 125g to me. if im wrong then correct me but if thats a 3 inch oscar then the tank cant be much more than 15 inches wide making it a very long 125g.....

and yes he/she will get big and may max out at about 12-13 inches. see sig for a fully grown adult.

tank doesnt really look a 125g to me. if im wrong then correct me but if thats a 3 inch oscar then the tank cant be much more than 15 inches wide making it a very long 125g.....

and yes he/she will get big and may max out at about 12-13 inches. see sig for a fully grown adult.

its a very small section of the tank you see. the tank is 6 feet long, 1.5 feet from front to back and 2 feet tall.

Most reactions

Back