oscar question

ANTO.B

Reaction score
does anyone know at what age or size do oscars start to breed.also do they need a special diet tohelp them breed.ny oscars are about 7 inches andi have them about 6 months but were about 3.5 when igot them.how does this growth rae compare to some of your oscars.

Hi
I have 8 Oscars, and basicaly they`ll eat anything u put in with it, or atleast they will try..
They can be awkward when breeding, they`ll either breed on there own or with other fish in the tank..

If u know that u have a pair then thats a good start as they are hard to distuigwish..
If u don`t know!!
Then ur better off buying atleast 6 - 8 of them and let them pair off naturally, that way they are definetly going to mate one time or another..
Mine have nva laid any eggs, but then some oscars keep them in their mouth just to protect them, some may burry them or leave them on slate.. depends if they feel thretened i suppose.. My oscars eat chicken, beef,lamb, dry food, depends on what u bring it up on also.. they also like little fish, as they are greedy buggers, as i`ve noticed :(..

For them mating you`ll prob have to wait untill abot 1 yr or so.. it may vary, its just that they have to be at ease, and dot to be poked at all the time, and maybe be carefull when u do a gravel clean or sand clean woteva subtrate you use.. as u may actually suck up the eggs by mistake..
Out of my 8 oscars i`ve got 2 albinos,, now the female always lies at one end, the male is always protecting her, i`ve nva actually seen any eggs yet.. but to be honest, i don`t know the time from which they m8 and the time they spawn, so i can only watch and take an educated guess..
They are friendly if u get them from young as they will be tame, as u can hand feed them and even stroke them.. as mine like..
hope i have helped
mac :)

mac,

I am curious as to where your information came from that oscar's will revert to mouthbrooding their eggs if they feel threatened??

CM

either breed on there own or with other fish in the tank..
:unsure:

oh i get it ;)

Mine have nva laid any eggs, but then some oscars keep them in their mouth just to protect them, some may burry them or leave them on slate.. depends if they feel thretened i suppose..

:eek: :huh:

mac-we need to talk man,no offense (you are trying to help)but i don't know of any american cichlids that are mouth brooders,if there are please let me know.

ANTO.B-what's your water like?ammo,temp,nitrite etc etc also what size tank are they in?are there any other tankmates?
i'm no expert on breeding anyfish but i'm sure the experts will need some background to figure this out for ya.

info on my tank.280ltrs,temp 78,nitrite 0,ammonia 0,ph nuetral.no other
tank mates.the fish seem to be very at ease with there envoiriment.
mosttanks is correct about the there breeding methods they do not take there fry into there mouths as they open breeders.sometimes the fry will cling to there perents.

andi have them about 6 months but were about 3.5 when igot them.how does this growth rae compare to some of your oscars.

that sounds about right,oscars grow very,very fast and they are very sloppy.As far as i know there isn't any food that will make them spawn or get them in the mood ;) just try more frequent water changes,i know that has worked for some ppl.

Most reactions

Back