Oscar And Parrot Cichlid

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness
Reaction score
So, I noticed that when I came home from vacation, about two weeks ago, one of the fish dug a huge trench by a huge rock we have. The parrot cichlid seems to be guarding that trench, while the oscar is guarding the upper part of the tank. I can't see anything in the trench, so I don't think they laid eggs. I also have no idea of the sex of either fish. What explains this weird behavior?

Sorry, misunderstood your post! Maybe it is afraid of the oscar and is trying to get away from him? I really dont know, sorry i cant be of any help!

Yeah, camera isn't workin well at the moment. But the parrot cichlid would most likely be a girl, right? Aren't male male parrot cichlids sterile most of the time?

Yeh, still, they try to breed.
The hemipipenis(soemthing like that anyway lol) is basically pointy for the male but more wider/larger and blunt for the female

That's the exact question I'm trying to figure out. They could possibly be trying, but I don't know for sure. I was out of the state when they made the ditch, so if they tried I never saw.

Ok, so I looked today, and I'm pretty sure the parrot cichlid is a female. I almost didn't see anything on the Oscar, so I'm asuming it's a male. But don't take my word on it.

dosnt matter if they were TRYING to breed, oscars can only breed with oscars, and most parrots a fertile. im guessing the oscar owns the top of the tank and the parrot is looking for a safe haven.

Most reactions

Back