Ordered java moss...

mandi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I ordered a 1/4 of java moss. My billing invoice says "Vescularia dubyana" which I *thought* was the correct name for java moss...

But THIS is what I received...

javamoss1.jpg
javamoss2.jpg

It really reeks too (kind of like spoiled cabbage). :p

Granted, its healthy-looking and everything, but it's most definately not what I ordered. Does anyone know what it is -- and would it be good for any of my tanks? (I wanted some java moss for my 6 gallon tank with my platies. I'm afraid this will just make a mess in there. Should I add it to my fry tank or betta tanks? Or should I just throw it out? (Perhaps in my mom's garden pond with her koi??)

I poured it into an empty old goldfish bowl, and added some water (so it wouldn't die, as it was a bit dried out) and it floats on the top and the water under it is just filthy.

Small snails are floating to the top of it too -- so now I'm thinking I don't really want to put it in any of my aquariums. My mom asked me if I would put it in her pond outside (she has a garden pond with koi in it) -- do you think it would be ok in there?

The best place to put it is in the bin - it grows faster than rabbits :) I don't know if koi eat it, if so, you'll never have to feed them again.

Be careful with it, once in a pond or tank it'll clog up the filter and everything else. I had a tiny little bit of it once - it came in with some other plants. It took me ages to completely clean my tank of it.

cometcattle said:
yep, looks like duckweed to me too.

Where did you order it from? :dunno:
I ordered it from AquariumPlantDepot.com. I was very very happy with everything else I got -- 6 dwarf sag, a dwarf aquarium lilly, and a creeping charlie which is very beautiful.

I know right after I placed my order, I saw in one of the other threads that people were having trouble with them as far as them saying it was in stock, and then they found out they really didn't have it -- however I didn't realize they would just freely decide to substitute something else!

Mandi: that sucks :( Yeah, it was me that ordered it and just got nothing in return. I don't know how this forum feels about promoting/badmouthing ordering sites, but I would STRONGLY advise people to stay away from them. On my order, they just cancelled my order and didn't charge me for that, and never responded after I emailed them and told them that I really didn't appreciate that their site says it's available when it really isn't... that they should have informed me that it was out of stock before shipping it.

And I'm pretty sure that's duckweed, and I'm positive you don't want it! :(

If I were you, I'd email them or call them and let them have it. That's no way to treat customers and run a business. Their order system asks for email address and phone number.... so for God's sake, USE IT if there's a problem with the order. :/ :angry:

That's horrible customer service. :angry:

No one believes me when I tell them how hard it's been to find good java moss. :/

Dang, it I just read on this page -- "AVAILABILITY: We try and keep all the items listed in stock, but it is possible that we will be temporarily out of an item. We will substitute with something that is similar. If you do not want substitutions please let us know at the time of ordering." I guess I'm stuck! :( Darn it. I should have read the "fine print" I guess.

Well it wasn't all bad -- out of frustration I went to the LFS again today looking for java moss -- and I found some moss-balls. I just love 'em -- they're so cute and soft! Haha.

AND another good point -- while I was adding the new plants, I found another platy fry hiding in my tank. :) (Moved him to my fry-tank ... now I have 12 :))

I find it hard to believe that they could justify sending you duck weed as being similar to Java Moss!!

You should definately complain

I just thought I'd let you all know I got an e-mail reply from them finally. They appologised and said it was sent out by mistake and they will send me java moss Monday morning.

We'll see how it looks when it gets here I guess!!

Most reactions

Back