Ordered By Substrate

Glenn UK

Reaction score
Hi all

We are buying in bits for our tank to upgrade it to having CO2 injected and whilst we're in it messing about we thought we'd replace our gravel with JBL Aquabasis plus but am after some ideas what to top it with. I have only ordered one bag so hoping thats enough for a 21inch cube.

I am aware that over the time the top and the base will inevitably mix so want to pick something that not only looks good now but will do 18months later. I prefer the idea of fine gravel just because i think the sand might be messy.

Whats your thoughts/preferences.

Thanks

Hi Glenn,

I used Tetra Complete substrate and just topped it with a couple of inches of fine gravel. Looks good and the Corys can have a good dig around without releasing the Tetra substrate into the water. I just use EasyCarbo and don't have trouble growing anything now. When I moved a couple of Echinodorus a couple of weeks ago, the roots were six or seven inches long. BTW, try to work out where the plants will go before you put the Aquabasis in; no point covering the entire bottom of the tank with it, just put it where the plants will be going.

Hi all

We are buying in bits for our tank to upgrade it to having CO2 injected and whilst we're in it messing about we thought we'd replace our gravel with JBL Aquabasis plus but am after some ideas what to top it with. I have only ordered one bag so hoping thats enough for a 21inch cube.

I am aware that over the time the top and the base will inevitably mix so want to pick something that not only looks good now but will do 18months later. I prefer the idea of fine gravel just because i think the sand might be messy.

Whats your thoughts/preferences.

Thanks
I've just topped mine with Oliver Knott Nature Soil Fine in black and it looks the nuts, it is expensive mind.

Right so i have ordered my JBL aquabasis plus and some black roman gravel. I am replacing existing gravel so will have to empty tank, fish and plants into big water container. I'll add the substrate then the gravel then water (on plate), can i put all the plants and fish in straight away, bearing in mind the water is already being lived in?

I havent read anywhere that the Aquabasis plus will leach anything into the water but thought i'd ask the question rather than presume.

Providing you can keep the filter going in whatever you're keeping the fish and plants in while swapping over, there won't be a problem. The main thing is to plan it all well ahead - that can save an awful lot of time. Provided there's a decent amount of gravel on top of the JBL, there should be no problem with the JBL turning your tank into a large tea container. Do remember to wash the gravel as thoroughly as possible, though, it'll give your filter an easier time. After everything's done, just go easy on the feeding for a couple of days and all will be fine. I've done this twice when we redecorated the living room; we had to put the 4ft tank into the kitchen and then back again and never had any problems. Good luck with the changeover.

Most reactions

Back