Orange Flash

Joeyg2100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
These are pictures of my new Orange flash apistogramma. The pictures aren't very good, but the best I could do with my camera. I couldn't get a good picture of the female so here are some of the male.

THE TANK
Picture153.jpg

THE FISH
Picture157.jpg

Picture156.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture154.jpg

its a Apistogramma cacatuoides, otherwise known as the cockatoo cichlid, And Orange flash is just a colour variation. There fine in a community tank as they are not aggressive what's in with him...

Should also be kept with a ratio of one male to around 4-5 females. And if your thinking of breeding there quite hard.

hi,
ive kept those but my male wasnt as vivid orange as that. thats a beauty

ya I know that it is an apistogramma cacatuoides. He is with another female, the store could only get the in as a pair (female and male), so I am stuck with just these two. I am planning on breeding these fish that is why they are in a tank by them selfs. There is 10 glowlight tetras in with them. From what I have read these are the easiest fish of the apisto family to breed.

Thats the most orange ive seen on a cacatuoides, seriously cool.
They are the easiest Apistos to breed because they will live and breed happily in hard alkaline water, but then, get the conditions ok and most Apistos are breedable.

I found apistogramma agassizi easier, and it was hard to get the cockatoo cichlid (i had triple red) to spawn until he was in the 1:4 ratio,Also don't use any treatments after they have spawned the eggs are really sensitive I found anti fungus treatment a No no. i found it hard to get hold of the females and i should imagine you'll find it harder with that colour variation. Just out of curiosity how much did they cost? its really Stupid the way some breeders or shops sell them in pairs when they should be in a harem really.

I think some of you may be getting mixed up with the easiest apistogramma to keep, Which they say is apistogramma cacatuoide. And in my opinion Apistogramma agassizi is easier to breed, and equally as pretty.

But nothing is completely solid in fish keeping, Everyone has different ways and every fish is different. What ever works better for you.

Just, looked back on this it kinda looks as if I'm having a dig at you and other posters but i promise I'm not :good:

They are the easiest Apistos to breed because they will live and breed happily in hard alkaline water, but then, get the conditions ok and most Apistos are breedable.

That sounds really familiar :blink: Someone help me out....

ive got fry of a.agassizii, a,cacatuoides and blue rams at the minute. the cacatuoides pair bred after 4 days of buying them in a breeding tank with 2 cardinals at pH6.4. one tip is buy the fattest female you see, but not over healthiest and prettiest

I found apistogramma agassizi easier, and it was hard to get the cockatoo cichlid (i had triple red) to spawn until he was in the 1:4 ratio.....

.........its really Stupid the way some breeders or shops sell them in pairs when they should be in a harem really.

I think some of you may be getting mixed up with the easiest apistogramma to keep, Which they say is apistogramma cacatuoide. And in my opinion Apistogramma agassizi is easier to breed, and equally as pretty.

But nothing is completely solid in fish keeping, Everyone has different ways and every fish is different. What ever works better for you.

Hi there,

As you say, it's all down to opinions and experience.

In my own experience, Apisto cacatuoides are much easier to keep and breed.

As to whether they are in pairs or harems, my own Apisto cacatuoides are in pairs. If you consider that an ideal female territory should be in the region of 15"x15" and you target a 1:4 ratio, then to set aside a 60" tank just for this group wouldn't be everyones ideal set up.

Given that they work just as well in pairs, then that is the easiest starting point for shops and breeders to sell them, and then if the customer specifically asks for additional fish, we see what we can do with the existing stock.

Andrew

They are the easiest Apistos to breed because they will live and breed happily in hard alkaline water..........

For most of the common colour morphs (and in fact a wider range of the tank bred Apisto's), the majority will be bred in the local tap water (which will not be the perfect, acidic water associated with the Amazon). Wild fish will prefer the acidic, soft water conditions, but these (and what will become) tank bred strains are quite capable of adapting to alkaline and harder water conditions over a few breeding generations.

As an aside, wild Apisto borellii, Apisto cacatuoides and Apisto agassizii have all been captured at one time or another in alkaline water conditions (yes, some parts of the Amazon river system are alkaline).

................but then, get the conditions ok and most Apistos are breedable.

Couldn't agree more, get the water right and the fish will do the rest.

Andrew

Most reactions

Back