Oranda Problem!

SinJin

Reaction score
Hey i recently purchased a red cap oranda from petsmart and put it into the tank with extreme care knowing that they are very sensitive. I was observing my tank and i knotices an odd white dot on the scale of his eye, whats going on!!! :(
BobEyeProblem.jpg

an you fill this out please:

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

an you fill this out please:

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?

1. OK to start off before i bought her i brought a sample of my water there too and tested it so thats good.
2. Well she is doing the usual and picking at the gravel and eating like crazy. BUt i knoticed a white discoloration on his eye :(
3. I do small 1/4 water changes often about every 1 1/2 months.
4. I havent added any other treatments than the water softener and purifier when i change the water.
5. I have mostly community fish such as guppies and catfish, but i do have an angelfish and another smaller golfish.
6. They are all in a filtered and heated 114L tank with live plants
7. Yes i have added 2 dwarf frogs about 4 days ago.

Is it the frogs??

Hello, it sounds as if your tank is over stocked with incompatible fish living together, the water changes you are doing are not near enough with a tank this size with so many fish, orandas are not strictly tropical fish prefering a temperature range of 20-24c what is the temperature of your tank? they also do not live well with goldfish who may bully them, goldfish are cold water fish and should not be kept in tropical water, I do not know what is wrong with your fishes eye but I think the stocking of your tank and lack of regular water changes may be the reason why it is unwell.

ok i understand what your saying but this occurence is so sudden! i keep the temp arout 72-75 degrees(sorry idk Celcius) and i made sure to only buy calm community fish. I think i did the converson wrong i have a 30 gallon tank with 10 fish and i think it turns out to 114 litres.

Your tanks severely overstocked.

Common goldfish 20 gallons for the first first. 15 galloons for every other one added.
Fancy goldfish 15 gallons for the first fish, 10 gallons for every other one added.
Also goldfish need double fileration due to being massive waste producers.

White dots on eye can be whitespot.
White specs on eye can be eye flukes.
Cloudy looking eye can be caused by bad water quality, stress, old age, irratation, injury, parasites, bacterial, poor diet.

Is the eye bulging out.

the water changes you are doing are not near enough with a tank this size with so many fish.

Or for a tank any size, with any number of fish.
You should be doing 1/4 WC every week where you are currently doing them every 6 weeks. And this is the usual suggested WC schedule for tanks that are not overstocked. Because your tank is not only overstocked, but also has a higher bio-load due to the goldfish, you would be looking at even more frequent WC to keep the water parameters in check.

I assume you are not using a liquid master test kit. I would highly suggest getting one ASAP so you have a better idea. Of what's going on with your water parameters.

the water changes you are doing are not near enough with a tank this size with so many fish.

Or for a tank any size, with any number of fish.
You should be doing 1/4 WC every week where you are currently doing them every 6 weeks. And this is the usual suggested WC schedule for tanks that are not overstocked. Because your tank is not only overstocked, but also has a higher bio-load due to the goldfish, you would be looking at even more frequent WC to keep the water parameters in check.

I assume you are not using a liquid master test kit. I would highly suggest getting one ASAP so you have a better idea. Of what's going on with your water parameters.
Ahhh i dont know whats going on!! the lady said i should have a gallon for every 1-inch of a fish. so i only have 2 two inch fish then i am only using twelve gallons?? i will never trust petsmart again, thanks guys i will check the water and get a 10-15 gallon tank for my goldfish to get them outta there :)

EDIT: I did purchase a ph testing kit and my water is 7.0 i tried to buy only hardwater fish

the 1" per gallon "rule" is a good baseline to follow when first stocking a tank, but unfortunately, it does not hold true for every scenario.
also, when you account for the stocking, you should be looking at the maximum size of the fish, not its current size. depending on what type of goldfish you have, youre looking at an average of 8-12" as its adult size. unless its a comet, in which case it can get much bigger than that, and realistically will need a pond for life.

211863_1.jpg

recordgoldfish.jpg

post-1-1185170002.jpg

the PH tester is one of the few you dont really need to use regularly. what you need to look for is the liquid master test kit. (API brand is usually the preferred kit. this will allow you to keep track of your ammonia/ nitrItes/ nitrAtes. assuming your tank was properly cycled, you should have none of the first two.
make sure its the liquid kit and not the paper test strips, as those tend to be unreliable.

the 1" per gallon "rule" is a good baseline to follow when first stocking a tank, but unfortunately, it does not hold true for every scenario.
also, when you account for the stocking, you should be looking at the maximum size of the fish, not its current size. depending on what type of goldfish you have, youre looking at an average of 8-12" as its adult size. unless its a comet, in which case it can get much bigger than that, and realistically will need a pond for life.

211863_1.jpg

recordgoldfish.jpg

post-1-1185170002.jpg

the PH tester is one of the few you dont really need to use regularly. what you need to look for is the liquid master test kit. (API brand is usually the preferred kit. this will allow you to keep track of your ammonia/ nitrItes/ nitrAtes. assuming your tank was properly cycled, you should have none of the first two.
make sure its the liquid kit and not the paper test strips, as those tend to be unreliable.

Ok thank you! It was just a discoloration i asked the petsmart associative and she said it was like that from the start. I will do more frequent water changes and buy some more testing kits :)

Most reactions

Back