Opinions On The Vision Range From Juwel

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
I cant make up my mind on my new tank, I know I want a Juwel 5ft in dark wood, but one minute I think the rio 400, the next the vision 450.

Aside from the extra £100! in cost, they both have the same filters, heater, lighting system (filter will probably be replaced by an external in the future).

The benefit of the vision 450 being the 10cms extra depth (at the bow) and the added 50 litres. As Im not planning on extra large fish this isnt really that important, but always nice to have a little more stocking to play with, my only concern is the distortion of the bowed glass.

I kinda go giddy when looking thru some of the bowed tanks Ive seen, especially those with the one piece glass fronts, I have two smaller tanks like this and they are quite annoying when trying to clean especially on those corners.

Are the vision tanks really bad for distortion or not, anyone with one that can tell me their thoughts on this. Ive yet to see a vision set up anywhere in any of my 10ish local LFS (well local as in 20 miles radius) so I cant get a first hand view if there is any problem.
Dont want to go spending what is a lot of money for a tank thats is going to annoy me as I sit looking at it :)

:lol: I take it that means its not the greatest unit then? Is this a common problem in the juwel range?

So does nobody else have a juwel vision tank then? I was under the impression that they were pretty popular.

I got a vision 260, (plus a rio 180) and between them I have had need 3 new light units. The light unit on my rio 180 is out at the moment and I can't afford to replace it, and when I have the money to do so I will be looking into other options.

The distortion on the vision 260 isn't that bad really, I don't even think I notice it. I've just had a look now, and the only real distortion is if im looking across the bow front, if I just look into the tank normally (front straight on), as far as I can tell its just like looking at a 'normal' fish tank. I don't know if this will be a problem to you, as I have mine against a wall, so can't really look slanted into the tank.

What I don't like about the vision range, is the width at the sides of the tank, but as you say if you arn't keeping any large fish it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a vision 180 and a vision 450.

Both are spot on, never had any problems. I'd be getting and external filter straight away if I were you though. I decided to wait a bit with my Vision 180 before I got the Tetratec EX700 for it. The change was almost instantaneous. Got the EX1200 at the same time as getting the 450.

I too was looking at the rio 400, but the 450 seems to have more presence in the room due to the bow front.

Thanks Shroob, so does the entire lightng unit pack up then? Is this thru condensation or just poor construction?

Nice to know its not too distorting.:)

I have a vision 180 and a vision 450.

Both are spot on, never had any problems. I'd be getting and external filter straight away if I were you though. I decided to wait a bit with my Vision 180 before I got the Tetratec EX700 for it. The change was almost instantaneous. Got the EX1200 at the same time as getting the 450.

I too was looking at the rio 400, but the 450 seems to have more presence in the room due to the bow front.

Yeah the external will be on before the fishless cycle on it completes I would imagine. Thanks.

Here is a picture of my Vision 260. As you can see there is no distortion if viewing the tank head on.

DSC01291.jpg

As Shroob says, it will look distorted if you look across the bow, but who looks at a fish tank from that angle anyway?

I have had my Vision 260 for 5 years and they are great tanks. I have replaced the filter and lights so can't really comment on those, but when i did use the Juwel filter and lights when i first got the tank, they were fine.

Cheers :good:

BTT

P.S. Go for the Vision 450. Its a beast!!!!

Great pic BTT, thats helped a lot thanks :D

Thanks Kizz, not the best reviews huh? I did look at the c-dream range, the 6footer, but those damn curved corners really put me off, plus although longer, again not as wide. Although they do come with an FX5!

To be honest, if Rena did their tanks in the right colour, there would be no choice, maybe Im being daft but its the centre piece of the lounge and it needs to look right :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back