Opinions On Painted Glass Background For Community Tank ?

blakeya

Reaction score
I currently have a 3d Juwel background in my community tank. I am considering removeing this and painting the outside of the rear glass as i don't like the look of the 3d background anymore. It is going a little green & doesn't show my fish in there true colours that they can show. What are your opinions on panted glass backgrounds & what colour would be best?? Black, Blue???

Input much appreciated.
regards
Andy

hi andy
painted the back of a 8ft tank aqua blue with a roller
had some left after doing my pond and it looks great
really shows up the colours on the fish

rgds

IMO black always looks good. how big is the tank? it might cost a bit to do nicely, but you could try the frosted background with back lighting a lot of planted tank fanatics are doing?
i took the background off my tank a little while ago, and i think it looks great with nothing there, just a gap then a magnolia wall. it makes the background really boring so all your attention gets drawn to whats in the tank

Tank is a RIO 125. Quite like the idea of a Magnolia background of the painted wall but....The wall my tank backs onto is purplish in colour. Wouldn't look so good me thinks!! Would a black pinted glass background not absord to much of the tanks light??
Regards
Andy

You could try different coloured card from a craft place (Hobbycraft etc)

That way if you don't like the colour you could just replace it with a different colour :D

That's what my boyfriend has on his Fluval 125L, currently black but he's thinking of changing to blue :cool:

Once it's painted, you're stuck with it :/

You may not like this idea but I have used it on a couple of my tanks and its very effective, get a black bin liner, scrunch it up then put it at the back of the tank (on the outsite). I have also use a dark blue rubble sack for the frontosa (looks brill to me anyway :lol: ) Besause if you paint it and dont like it its a pain to get back off again. That I know I have scrapped a 5ft tank and it still looks bitty.

I got the exact tank mate and ive just finished setting it up, i was going to paint mine black cos i love black backgrounds, but didnt want to really paint this tank with it been rather posh ish lol... so what i did was, got some old wallpaper i had in cupboard, cut it the correct size and painted it black, this way i didnt have to paint the glass and it has a exactly the same effect. (which is harder anyways)..

Here si the outcome, (its still a bit cloudy cos its still clearing but u can see what i mean)..
DSC00006.jpg

Top idea livebearer. Thanks for all the input guys & girls. Food for thought !!!

Most reactions

Back