Opaline Gouramis Breeding

ghostknife597

Reaction score
any tips on breeding opaline gouramis? my male keeps chasing the female around.

That is a part of the ritual from what I have read or can tell. I have two blue, and they are or have done what you are seeing. Has the male tried to create a bubble nest?
I do not have a structure set up for their bubble nest to work.

That is a part of the ritual from what I have read or can tell. I have two blue, and they are or have done what you are seeing. Has the male tried to create a bubble nest?
I do not have a structure set up for their bubble nest to work.

he hasn't tried to build a bubble nest as far as i know, but my bubbler leaves a lot of bubbles on the surface. should i put something in there to help him build one?

Their not breeding, thats two females, and one is suffering quite badly from bullying.
Also their is far to much aeration for a male even build a bubble nest.

I'm gonna disagree on the sexing. If you pause at 0:20 you'll see his pointed dorsal fin.

I agree that this is bullying rather than breeding behavior, though.

It's very difficult but were going off topic

If you want to breed these fish you need to have a dedicated tank, but males are nasty bliters, so u need to have several tanks to keep them all separate so stop him killing other fish.

Their not breeding, thats two females, and one is suffering quite badly from bullying.
Also their is far to much aeration for a male even build a bubble nest.

I'm gonna disagree on the sexing. If you pause at 0:20 you'll see his pointed dorsal fin.

I agree that this is bullying rather than breeding behavior, though.

They are male and female. How do you rec. to stop the bullying? Yes - I know there is too much air to allow a bubble nest at this point - I am not trying to breed them. I just caught some of the ritual on video.

If possible, some plants (floating watersprite for example) or hardscape to help break line of sight would help relieve the stress on the bullied female. Removing the male temporarily and adding another 1 or 2 females in the meantime (then add the male back once they have settled in) could help as well.

Most reactions

Back