Opaline Gourami Disease (i Think)

neilos

Reaction score
Hi, First post

I have a female opaline gourami and have had it around 10-12 months.
She has survived 2 bouts of white spot and seems healthy, but recently the fins and tail have been tainted red.I dont think its velvet as the complexion of the fish is still normal. i cant find anything else that could explain the problem.
Any Ideas???

UK
Water Change around 3-4 weeks try 10-15% of volume in 60 ltr tank
1 sword tail
3 tetras
2 cat
1 unidentifiable shark (no one knows #### it is)

sounds like a bacterial infection starting to develop in the tail. Check the water quality and do some daily partial (30-50%) water changes and gravel cleans. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine and has a similar temperature & PH to the tank.

If it doesn't clear up in a few days then treat the fish with anti bacterial medication like Waterlife Myxazin or Protozin. Check the directions on the pack and use at a lower dose rate because of the catfish.

To work out the volume of water in the tank
measure Length x Width x Height in cm
divide by 1000
equals volume in litres

When measuring the height, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water level. If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove them before measuring the height.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating otherwise it will absorb the medication out of the water.

If you can post a picture of your shark we might be able to identify it for you.

SORRY ABOUT QUALITY BUT BEST I COULD GET AS IT VERY FAST AND SUFFERS FROM FISH ADHD!!
AND YES SPONGEBOB DOES LIVE AT THE BOTTOM OF MY SEA.

ASKED A FISH MAN AT A GARDEN CENTRE AND HE ASKED IF THE GOURAMI HAS A RED BUM HOLE AND SAID ITS FIN ROT :sad:
HE RECCOMENDED SOME TREATMENT BUT DOESNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT BEING BAD FOR CATFISH. I GAVE 3/4 THE RECCOMENDED DOSE. GUESS ILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.
IF THE SHARK IS IDENTIFIABLE PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS

Attachments

• 17_07_08_1723.jpg
    17_07_08_1723.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 67
if the gourami is red around its bottom then it could have intestinal worms, (Camallanus).

The shark looks like a blue shark (Pangasius sutchi) and they grow big.

Most reactions

Back