Oops...

Sylvan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I went to drop something off to my sister's boyfriend today and somehow I've come home with another tank and 2 otos. I'm still not entirely sure how the tank happened but it looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the LFS for some oto friends, what a shame lol. Tank is currently in the car until I can sneak it in, really can't work out how that made it into my possession.
IMG_20200621_215429.jpgIMG_20200621_215354.jpg

Cool fish! Is your tank big enough for otos? Have you read up on the water requirements for them? (I'm on my iMac, so I cant copy and paste the link for their profile. :rolleyes:)

Just Google, "Oto Seriously Fish".

Cool fish! Is your tank big enough for otos? Have you read up on the water requirements for them? (I'm on my iMac, so I cant copy and paste the link for their profile. :rolleyes:)

Just Google, "Oto Seriously Fish".
They've gone in the 29 gallon that only has my adult Betta Coccina and I've got very soft water. I did actually look into them a few months ago but then got distracted by breeding the Bettas so didn't persue it. I mentioned I liked them and was interested when he mentioned he was breaking down his tank to move house and starting again from scratch. Got there to find the fish bagged up for me then he brought up the subject of his other tank that's been empty and in the attic. All I did was ask for dimensions and the next thing I knew I was carrying it to the car. Never did get the dimensions of it.
I'm keeping an eye on the Bettas, they were curious at first but got bored quickly and wandered off. It's the first time something other than shrimp has appeared in their tank.

Sounds good! Good luck with them, they are a very interesting little fish. :wub:

Sounds good! Good luck with them, they are a very interesting little fish. :wub:
They are indeed, I also like the fact that when I was going through a few sites to refresh my memory on them one site listed an alternative name of goblin plecs so now they're my little goblins.
It also means I have a good excuse to go browsing in my favourite LFS.

Lol how did you manage that?

Lol how did you manage that?
I think it happened because he brought up the subject of his other tank which had been a possibility when I was looking for a breeding tank but I needed something with a lid. I said I wasn't sure about it because i couldn't remember the dimensions and if it would fit into the only space I've got for a tank. He went off, supposedly, to check it then reappeared with it. My sister then piped up that it would be a good way to transport the 2 otos more securely. I swear, I blinked and it was in the car.

Ugh, you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find a certain fish then I remembered the world had shut down. I've been to 4 shops today, 3 had no otos and 1 did but it's one of the less reputable shops, their fish can be very hit and miss. That said, I did get my Betta Coccina from them so I was willing to chance it as they looked reasonably healthy and well fed until the massively bloated female betta that was in the same tank swam into view so decided against those ones. I know they have some at my local Maidenhead but I was in there yesterday and I wasn't happy enough with the tanks to risk them. Might try a few more tomorrow.

Measured the tank last night and it looks like working in a haberdashery has done wonders for my ability to guess sizes. I was bang on, the tank is 24 x 8 x 8 so using the calculator on here that gives me a 7 gallon tank. It's going to be a very slow setting up process as I like to use plants just from Tropica and, according to the staff in pets at home, its been an absolute nightmare getting hold of them. They finally got the first order since lock down and there was barely anything. Lots of planning time.

Ended up going back to the shop I saw them in after trying a couple more today with no luck. The owner in one said it's because there's basically no flights coming out of South America at the moment and they've no idea when they might start up again so what's in the country already is what's available. They're going in the shrimp tank to quarantine.

Most reactions

Back